AuthorTopic: New project: German officer planning attack.  (Read 5600 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

New project: German officer planning attack.

on: September 10, 2007, 05:59:22 pm
Hey guys, Jack here.  I am feeling a bit burned out regarding the tank scene so I decided to work on something else.  This scene is of a German general planning his force's attack strategy.  Please keep in mind that nothing is really finalized in the scene.  Also, any discrepancies regarding light source color choices, etc will be addressed further down the line.  Anyhow, here is what I have so far.  Enjoy.  Feel free to rip it down and tell me whats wrong, etc.  Just don't make me cry too much.  Cheers!

Jack

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: New project: German officer planning attack.

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:53:09 pm
Hmm...the way you pixel makes me think of a diagram: purely a presentation of what exists, and no emotion whatsoever.  It looks great as a diagram, because you can see everything at once, and you know what's there.  But I don't see much drama.  I would imagine a general planning a battle to be a very moody, dark and foreboding situation!  I would imagine the general stooped over the table, or seated at a desk, with papers strewn about the table and a team of officers at his side.  Whatever, that doesn't matter.  What matters is that everything is face-on, the general is standing like a mannequin, with his face in a light smile.  I can't even see any war plans on the table, so the picture isn't very helpful in describing what the scene is about.  In reality, in my eyes, little thought went into the placement and position of characters and props, and what meaning that placement gave to the picture.  Sorry if it seems harsh, but I see so much potential!

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:57:06 pm
Thanks for the advice.  I do plan on making it awhole lot better. I was thinking hanging light (perhaps just a bulb), etc.  As for placement, Im trying my best.  Originally I had him coming in through the door.  Eventually I want to have a soldier guarding the door, lamps, etc.  Like I said its far from done.  Thanks again and talk to you later!

Jack

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:33:42 pm
How about something more exciting?

I know a large part of the perspective is wrong, but it's just a sketch and I didn't spend much time on it :)
It's just giving an idea.

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:18:43 pm
okay, opacus, I have to ask, how do you sketch so well, and what program do you use?
It's time for racing car video games

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:33:24 pm
Interesting.  Im tempted to try due to the fact that while I can correct the posture, the head is giving me issues.  He looks like he's giving instructions but with a deadpan manner.  Yikes!

Man are hands hard to do.  I look over references but its still all so new.  I usually draw tanks, etc.  Ok, back to work!  And here is the officer updated a bit.  Whatcha think?  Its my first time doing this kind of thing lol so bear with me.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:03:28 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 05:06:29 pm
Hands are bitches to draw, they really are. Study them a bit. Reference your own hand. And maybe practice them in tradiitional media first, since they're already hard to draw, and even harder to pixel.
I'd simply like to see some change in perspective though. It doesn't have to be as extreme as mine, but if it's a scene, and not a game part, it would be a waste to make it look so boring.

And winston: I start of with a simple black and white sketch and I just use basic colours and some shades with the brush tool to get a quick idea. Nothing special really, but thanks anyway :P.
I use alot of programs, varies a bit. ProMotion, Graphics Gale, Paint, PS.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 07:56:11 pm
Hey guys, Jack here.  Can anyone help me out with this guy's head?  Its so frustrating to say the least.  More updates coming hopefully soon.

Jack

Offline KittiKatt

• I'm a pretty girl.... I'm a preeettyyy girl...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:01:50 am
I like the head a lot, but I think the hat is riding a little high. And I agree with Faktablad... he looks like a doll, just standing there. His body isn't really doing anything, and even with a hand out it's straight and emotionless.

It's a really good sprite overall, but a general wracking his brain over a battle plan would not be standing up like a doll. He's be scratching his head, bent over charts and maps.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:30:17 am
I plan on having him with other officers.  The problem with having him leaning over plans would make his face disappear.  Im trying here folks lol.  Feel free to demonstrate ideas.  Here is an update of the officer.  The new one is on the right.  Thanks again for your time.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:47:06 am by JackBauer24 »