AuthorTopic: Pinwheel dreamin'  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Pinwheel dreamin'

on: September 05, 2007, 06:44:26 pm

Workin on an animation :)

Currently 30 frames. It will stay at that unless someone can suggest something i should add or take away haha.

Critak? yes yes pls.

Will post with a coloured update of the first frame once i've started
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Pinwheel dreamin'

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:52:37 pm
<3 Seems adorable as all your work Jericho. <3

Ahem.... looks good. Can judge that pillow much until you colour it up. The angle of the pot looks goofy.
As for cutting down frames you can probably turn the pinwheel into a blur and have the bubble pop.

GAH! You're art deserves more than a few <3s and a sentence or two.

I think the ?tassels? need to be separated a bit either with lines or colors. Some small movement of that bell on the back of it's neck would be adorably great. Sub pixel would be amazing and would give the whole community a great chance to indirectly teach me about that!
I don't have a cat but I do have a cat sized dog. When he's not sleeping on his side he's on his stomach. When he breathes in his sides expand. I can only imagine if he had a tail he'd curl it around himself like most cats.
I'm now starting to question if this is even a car... I mean cat. Looks like a mixture of a bear,cat and dog. I think the animal needs to look more like what it is. Again, maybe the colors would help so just slapping on some colors would help us to help you to help me.

I hope you can find some sense in that mess of a post.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:01:17 pm by JonathanOfDrain »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:57:23 pm
Hmm, bubbles usually come out of the nose while you're sleeping, not the mouth(least that's what you generally see in any cartoon).

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 07:36:38 pm
<3 Seems adorable as all your work Jericho. <3

Ahem.... looks good. Can judge that pillow much until you colour it up. The angle of the pot looks goofy.
As for cutting down frames you can probably turn the pinwheel into a blur and have the bubble pop.

GAH! You're art deserves more than a few <3s and a sentence or two.

I think the ?tassels? need to be separated a bit either with lines or colors. Some small movement of that bell on the back of it's neck would be adorably great. Sub pixel would be amazing and would give the whole community a great chance to indirectly teach me about that!
I don't have a cat but I do have a cat sized dog. When he's not sleeping on his side he's on his stomach. When he breathes in his sides expand. I can only imagine if he had a tail he'd curl it around himself like most cats.
I'm now starting to question if this is even a car... I mean cat. Looks like a mixture of a bear,cat and dog. I think the animal needs to look more like what it is. Again, maybe the colors would help so just slapping on some colors would help us to help you to help me.

I hope you can find some sense in that mess of a post.

lol! :)

1. I tried making the pinwheel a blur, but it looked to be moving too fast in comparison to how he breathed out.
2. The tassel thingies will look less like a clump when they are coloured ^-^. the lines are just there for the general shape.
3. I'll see what i can do about getting that bell to jingle or something :3. that would deffinitely be cute haha
4.It is a cat haha xD. I think the nose kind of throws it off right now but I made a quick colour of parts so hopefully that makes it look more feline? As for how it is laying, you're right most cats kind of curl up, but i actually have one that used to sleep on the top of doors like that..all sprawled out and balancing on it LOL. We closed the door while she was sleeping on it once and she never did it again xD;

Hmm, bubbles usually come out of the nose while you're sleeping, not the mouth(least that's what you generally see in any cartoon).

yes but he's breathing out of his mouth. air and/or bubbles would not come out of his nose if his mouth is open.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:42:42 pm
Why do you even need the bubble? Wouldn't it be more subtle to infer more to the animation from visual clues that do not scream 'I AM A VISUAL CLUE!' like the rising and falling of the belly/back and the moving pinwheel?

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:47:07 pm
Why do you even need the bubble? Wouldn't it be more subtle to infer more to the animation from visual clues that do not scream 'I AM A VISUAL CLUE!' like the rising and falling of the belly/back and the moving pinwheel?

i certainly don't need it in order to infer anything. it's simply there to go along with the 'cute'.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:52:23 pm
Quote from: Jericho
yes but he's breathing out of his mouth. air and/or bubbles would not come out of his nose if his mouth is open.
Ya, but for some reason it doesn't look right, maybe because standards have associated bubbles with noses. Since bubbles with sleeping are usually because of snot, I can't think of any reason there'd be one coming out of the mouth... other than spit bubbles, which don't form like that. Well, as for solutions, there are a few I can think of. Move the bubble to the nose and emphasize on lip movement to show that he is mainly breathing from his mouth(you can breath from both while sleeping)... or ditch the bubble altogether and add drool hanging from his lip.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:21:47 pm by Dusty »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:00:21 pm
If you don't need it, and it has 'huh?' drawbacks (as Dusty explains) perhaps it would be best to lose it. Just an observation.

You could try subtle subpixel animation on the belly. Subpixelling is made for these sort of things.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 08:05:46 pm
If you don't need it, and it has 'huh?' drawbacks (as Dusty explains) perhaps it would be best to lose it. Just an observation.

You could try subtle subpixel animation on the belly. Subpixelling is made for these sort of things.

I'll try dropping it and see how it looks.

and uh..xD; what is subpixelling?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:42:54 pm
As I understand it, subpixeling is modifying   the shading to simulate movement, but not actually moving the bounderies of the animated piece.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.