AuthorTopic: Training sprite  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Training sprite

on: September 03, 2007, 09:07:15 pm
Hello everyone.
I made this sprite for training, its based on Adarias sprites...
My biggest problem are colors and shading.... so I took one of Adarias sprites and took a good look at colors, here is the result.

This is my character the name is Sabata :P

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Training sprite

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:39:08 pm
looks like you took more than just a look at the colors...  :mean:

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:40:33 pm
Rather than ripping off of Adarias' sprite and slightly changing it, attempt to do something similar, not a big fan of critiquing edited art. Also Feron: He did say he took one of the sprites, read before assuming.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:45 pm
Feron: He did say he took one of the sprites, read before assuming.

I did read it, several times.  He said he based it on adarias' - but from what i see its a practically a bad edit.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:44:28 pm
My biggest problem are colors and shading.... so I took one of Adarias sprites and took a good look at colors, here is the result.
So he took his sprite and checked out the colors. Sabata, honestly, I don't know how this will make you improve at pixel art, the only way to improve(In my opinion) is to draw lots from life, gain some knowledge on colors and to know the pixelling basics(Dithering, cleaning lines, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:49:48 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:00:37 pm
Hey hey, people. The sprite was made completely from scratch, outlines and colours where picked and made by me too, no edits there.
Things I looked on Adarias sprite:
Size of sprite
Colour transitions, like how dark is the darkest colour.... I took a look at how he softened the borders too, and made the same.

There is no edits on Adarias sprite, I say it again it was made from scratch.

I'll post another one soon...so you can see that I made it. :hehe:

EDIT: Ok made another one, Full metal alchemist I think you know him... made all from scratch, picked colours by myself... his jacket is supposed to be off, only on one hand... ah, cant explain it, take a look at the reference, if you want to.

Reference
http://www.ani-walls.net/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_Fullmetal%20Alchemist.jpg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:33:29 pm by Sabata »

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:22:32 am
Well, this doesn't really prove much, you'd have to post a WIP or something...... I steal think it's ripped. :-\

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:38 am
well, I'm not one to blow my own horn, but since you are studying the way I made them, a few things :

First, what I think is important when studying another piece of art by anyone is not to look and say, i like that, let's make something that looks like that, but rather something more along the lines of :

this artwork is in some way appealing to me.  why was it made in this way?  What is the thought* behind the placement of everything, and how is that justified by the overall goal?  Why does this goal appeal** to me, and what other context might someone find this same attraction?

In your first go, you saw that I used brown and red outlines, and mimicked that, but only in pretense, and like a language student rattling off a list of correct vocabulary terms, it is what was there but it is not likely to be understood.

First things first, when you have identified a technique or element that you would like to understand and apply elsewhere:
Why was it used : Often this is very hard to guess, so I will give you the answer.  Red is a very strong, warm color, so I used it in the outlines to make the characters rise in front of the background tiles.  You will notice that for their dark universal colors, the tiles tend towards blues to make them fall back just enough, further enhancing the pop of the characters without sacrificing much "lushness" of color in the tiles.
Are there limitations on it's application : YES!  The red is strictly kept to interior lines because red light bleeds like warm beef.  Exterior lines, the silhouette of the sprite, is done in black, which is a color killer as well as a sharp contrast in value to bright colors in a way that red is not.  The black acts as a buffer to separate character from tile.  The same goes for the medium brown occasionally used on the extreme points of the black outlines as well as a shade internally - it softens while reducing saturation.
How can I apply this in my artwork?  Since for the moment you are pursuing a replication of sorts, I can only assume that the best way to use this is to follow my example, but there are many other places where red outlines can be used for any number of reasons.
What might I do to counteract this?  Use like you did, a color farther away than your outline.  What is the point of an outline on a sphere if it becomes a crest rather than gently curving away from the viewer?  contours that are closer than the colors they contain are crests and therefor sharp.  You made pants sharp!

I can say more on the subject but i want this bit to sink in, I find that essay-style posts don't always make their points because people tend not to try reading them.

*(or lack of thought, but lack of thought is a conscious decision because the artist must say to himself, "I am going to make a random shape!" thereby bestowing upon that shape a purpose: to be without purpose.  Think that's tricky, try studying Buddhism or Socrates.  Only by rejecting what you desire will you truly attain it!)
**(or not appeal, as disgust is often accompanied by an admiration similar to that created by attraction)

Ben - there are some elements, such as the hand, left foot, and parts of the face that are the same shapes, but neither am I bothered by this nor do I consider it an edit; merely a piece which imitates another.  I agree of course that direct imitation is not the way to go, that study followed by application is the only way to learn from any source, but that has been said.  We all know that my stuff is around for viewing, and we all know that he is using it as his source material.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:18:02 am
Well, yea it’s more an imitation... but hey I dint say that I created something original! I said it from beginning that the sprite is based on Adarias.

Let me explain some reasons:
First of all I imitated this style because it looked like an Tactic RPG, so I wanted to try it.
This is smallest sprite I ever tried, so I was getting the size...arm length...head...
The shading style is different from mine so I kind of imitated it, and outlines always bugged me, so I used the same as Adarias. (Thank you for the explanation of colours Adarias, I got the idea why you used red and black. Now that I have the idea I think I can have a better use of it.)
Foots position, I imitated it because I always had problems whit making foot look toward viewer (this is one more way to do it, that I learned)

Well basically I made a research of styles and imitated it, it was just for training
Adarias, sorry if you got angry whit me.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 03:31:57 am
Adarias, sorry if you got angry whit me.
Oh not at all, best of luck to you with all of your studies :)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.