AuthorTopic: Need help.  (Read 3606 times)

Offline gamefrnzy

• View Profile

Need help.

on: August 29, 2007, 02:17:51 am
I need help with this RPG character. Ingame his arms look thick because maybe of
the black outline. I dont know. But it is very ugly ingame. Maybe needs to be bigger?
Any advice?

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Need help.

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 04:12:02 am

Crappy edit. But let's review the changes :D
Ok I change the hair color. There are only 4 hair colors (which can still might be too many :\). All the blues you used were pretty close to being the same color. Wasn't much contrast, you need that. Not too much though. I poorly gave the face a highlight color. I pulled the arms in and toyed with them being bent. You should probably look at some old school RPG or some made for GameBoy. They usually had 1-2-3-2 walk animations like yours. I was going to play with your costume but it's your character so you can play with it. Play around with the character design (post some sketches if you have them, they'll help us guide you in the right direction.)
I know st0ven made a good tutorial for RPG characters like this. I think you can find it at sprite-art.net or something.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:55:56 pm
Another edit:

One of the biggest problems with this (and many other's RPG sprites) has to do with perspective. Generally speaking, rpg sprites are mean to be viewed from over head, and here it seems as though we're looking at the character face-on. So, basically I reworked the image with that in mind, and tried not to change your design too much. (oh, I changed the pose in general, a bit, as well, as I thought it looked a bit stiff).

The other changes were a lot less drastic. I reduced the colour count by unifying the palette a bit, and added thing like a bit of shading to the face, and highlights to the hair. Also upped the contrast quite a bit (especially in the hair), as the original colours were basically indistinguishable from one another, even at, like, 10x zoom.

I'd also suggest taking a look at some tutorials, and maybe studying some old games as references.

Offline gamefrnzy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:56:02 pm
Somoene pointed out that I didnt reply to you. And im sorry.
I really thought I did. And yes. Its an awsome edit. I did the
animation for it and it fits excelent in the game now thank you.
Now I need help with the side view tho. Its ugly.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 08:45:13 pm
He didn't make the edit for you to take home (If he did I'm sorry). He made the edit to give something to study. Notice the colors. Trem only used 2 shades for each color. A light and a dark blue, skin and clothing color. Then the "black" and a white. Notice how he reused those grays in the hair.

Offline gamefrnzy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:00:16 am
I know he made it to study. But thats how I
wanted it in the first place. And I dont know
what else to do to make it better. And its MY
character. Just a better version. Sorry if im
doing something wrong ://

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:05:05 am
And I dont know
what else to do to make it better

Observe the differences between the edit and the original. Think hard why they enhance it. Try to replicate.

You don't get to go home with the edit unless the original editor clearly says you can. It's your character but it's his edit. If you have troubles understanding these things, read the rules again. Fully. And be very careful what demands you make and in what tone.