AuthorTopic: A beginners sprites  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Psych Out

• View Profile

A beginners sprites

on: September 01, 2007, 12:28:38 pm
Sup  :D
Well, I'm new here (if you haven't noticed), and I would really like some of you guys to rate my art (You guys are AWESOME!).

I pixel mainly weapons for games, in particular one called "Tibia". It's a 32x32 template, with a purple background (Which is a bit.. distracting) which turns out to be a grey tile ingame.

So anyway, I would like it if someone would just check some of this out:

(From left to right - Arrow, Sinful Wand, Elven Amulet, Steel Shield, Short Sword)
Kinda go easy on me, I'm just a beginner  :-[.

OH, and I made a little pixelart video thingy, that I uploaded on Youtube. You can check that out here.

Offline BG

• View Profile

Re: A beginners sprites

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:49:34 pm
Welcome.

First of all, I must say your work looks nice. When I first saw these, i thought they looked really pretty, but the amount of color could be reduced. So I though I would edit them a little.

This is where your work made me want to punch babies (Sorry, no offence at all, just a saying). The color amount of the sword was 133!! (including the purple background) That's not ok. Not to mention the shield with its 390 colors! :yell: This is WAY too much for pieces this small.

I did a quick 5-min edit of the sword. Color amount: 12

Compare it to your version. Does your edit look THAT much better than mine? I don't think so. You shouldn't need more than a total of 16 colors to make your stuff look as good as it does now. Make it look as good as possible with as few colors as possible.  THAT'S what pixeling is all about.

But don't feel bad. You're a beginner, and so am I to be honest. You just missed the last part of the rule ;) Please reduce the coloramount and post the new versions, cuz I'd love to see more of your stuff :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:53:11 pm by BG »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:22:12 pm
there are pixeled elements to be sure, but i wonder what is up with the rest.  did you use tools with opacity filters?  This isn't really considered pixelart even if it was done square by square.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Psych Out

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:30:49 pm
there are pixeled elements to be sure, but i wonder what is up with the rest.  did you use tools with opacity filters?  This isn't really considered pixelart even if it was done square by square.
It was done pixel by pixel. I didn't even know how many pixels there were  :huh:

I'll try and slim down on the colors, and its mainly because I hardly use the eye dropper tool (which I just realized is bad : :hehe:) and I pick the shade randomly, and the odds of it being the same color.. ya know  :P

Thanks for the posts guys, I'll def work on the colors more :]

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:22:06 pm

Meh, little edits of mine, not sure if you noticed but the sword and shield are out of proportion, color amount: 9(I win, beat that BG, heh just kidding). Just try to conserve colors man, also, try to use grays that aren't actually gray(like in my edit).

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 12:11:12 am
Ah, Tibia style...  An interesting thing, where photoshopped and pixeled works freely intermingle, where color limits are rarely if ever followed.

However, I think you're a bit too close to Tibia's dragon amulate for comfort, eh?
Ah well, here's an edit with 10 colors; the other edits are good too, I just couldn't resist doing something in my primary style.

Offline Psych Out

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 02:28:15 am
Ah, Tibia style...  An interesting thing, where photoshopped and pixeled works freely intermingle, where color limits are rarely if ever followed.

However, I think you're a bit too close to Tibia's dragon amulate for comfort, eh?
Ah well, here's an edit with 10 colors; the other edits are good too, I just couldn't resist doing something in my primary style.

I know you from Tibia.de  :o

But yeah, I gotta work on my colors. And I would of changed the sprites if I knew anything about the mythology, or w/e, tibia is based on :[

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 03:57:27 pm
mythology has nothing to do with lifting images?  so far as i can tell, you've literally stolen the not very well done necklace part and burned the top of it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:17:32 pm
Psych Out: rippers are not welcome here. Goodbye.