AuthorTopic: [WiP] Walking Animation  (Read 10170 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: [WiP] Walking Animation

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 01:01:10 pm
nice, but his chest hands and feet look very pillowy.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07:07 am
I tried removing the black outlines and replace them with darker shades. Does it look any better?

much more i'd say. maybe adding a little shadow on the lifted feet will give him more a "walking" look... right now, he looks like being on slippery ground (or maybe just scrolling dirt below him would just fix this). I preferred the previous speed, though. At that rate, you just can't keep "walking" you need more to "run", which finely coincide with the helmet movement, but would require another kind of stepping.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 09:30:50 am by PypeBros »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:46:13 am
Removing the black outline was a good thing, but at some spots you replaced it by a shade that is too bright.

yours   mine
Here is my edit. Mostly edited the chin, helmet and the hands.

Also, some places are pillowshaded (the pants for example). It doesn't look that bad in this picture, but it would be a big improvement if you removed it.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 11:34:13 am
Looks like some stray pixels when the visor bounces up. Maybe removing the highlights on the knees when they go far back would help shading.
One small thing that bugs me is maybe it looks like he has no right arm at all and the shield is just stuck on. If his arm were holding the shield, it would rotate differently (ie push it a few pixels to the right for some frames). But i could be wrong.

Definately fix his chestplate somehow. It bugs me so much - looks like a woman's breasts. Pokes out too much, rotates too much also maybe. And the yellow thing,can't tell what that is.

Great piece though - very smooth animation. Keep working on it.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 08:27:51 pm
maybe adding a little shadow on the lifted feet will give him more a "walking" look... right now, he looks like being on slippery ground (or maybe just scrolling dirt below him would just fix this). I preferred the previous speed, though. At that rate, you just can't keep "walking" you need more to "run", which finely coincide with the helmet movement, but would require another kind of stepping.
I'll try adding a shadow beneath him, and change the speed to the previous version, since I don't think you need both a walk and a run animation in these kinds of games (unless he would get a hold of some Pegasus Boots, but that's not likely :P)

Removing the black outline was a good thing, but at some spots you replaced it by a shade that is too bright.
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8185/rttas5.gif
Here is my edit. Mostly edited the chin, helmet and the hands.

Also, some places are pillowshaded (the pants for example). It doesn't look that bad in this picture, but it would be a big improvement if you removed it.
I'm darkening some of the outlines at once. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a fan of pillow shading, but in the case of the pants, I realy don't see the problem, since they are suposed to be kind of "sacky" (is that the right word?) and loose. They're also suposed to be made out of textile, much like pillows, but I'll try changing it. I'll do anything that helps me become a better pixel artist. :)

Looks like some stray pixels when the visor bounces up. Maybe removing the highlights on the knees when they go far back would help shading.
One small thing that bugs me is maybe it looks like he has no right arm at all and the shield is just stuck on. If his arm were holding the shield, it would rotate differently (ie push it a few pixels to the right for some frames). But i could be wrong.

Definately fix his chestplate somehow. It bugs me so much - looks like a woman's breasts. Pokes out too much, rotates too much also maybe. And the yellow thing,can't tell what that is.

Great piece though - very smooth animation. Keep working on it.
Thanx. I'm working on the shading of his pants, and I'm gonna try experimenting with the shield a little.

About the breastplate...My simple design for this character is inspired by the artwork from the old saturn game Shining Wisdom (Not a very good game, I must say, but for some reason I do have it in both PAL and JP version :huh: The artwork is nice though, if you like typical 90s anime style) where the main character happen to wear this kind of breastplate. Here's a pic: http://www.sega-saturn.net/stha04.jpg
The yellow thing is just a decoration (which will most likely change color for the next update) for his boring armor.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 12:40:34 am
yeah, those pants are just balls at this size, go ahead and leave them.  I'd nix the hard highlight though.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline BG

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 03:07:00 pm
After some time, a bunch of changes has been made. Decided to scrap the soldier for now and replace him with a young girl. Turned the animation from an 12 frame walk to an 8 frame run and I think it looks much better :)

Currently reworking the little pony/pig tail(though, I might even remove it...) Also working on some tiles at the moment. c+c appreciated.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 04:38:52 pm
Why ditch the soldier when you can just have both??? I think you should just leave your soldier and consider it done for now and come back to it later, because it's slick as hell, no need to waste such a nice animation.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 05:00:26 pm
while this animation is much more pleasing, there are some frames where you snap a little too far.  A blur on or between these frames would preserve your timing and the continuity of motion. 
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 05:37:27 pm
nice little anim this buddy... good stuff.

Echoing Adarias slightly - whilst I agree there is a little too much snap - I think it's a great example of how animations don't have to be smooth and continuous in order to work. I'm not sure if this is by accident or by design, if the former then I suggest you read the book I refer to in my sig... if the latter then there's no need as you obviously understand.

One thing I will point out is the hair. You're brave attempting to animate each section, and I'd be inclined to keep the pony tail/bunch as this would be a nice touch. However a number of points I should mention.

1. I looks like you've got the sequence out of synch by 1 frame with the hair mass...? or you could try on the returns (frame 4 to 5 and frame 8 to 1) keeping the hair mass high, and not moving down until the body mass pushes back up again... the secondary motion is failing here. On it's own away from the up and down bob it animates well, it's just when you position it onto the main head shape it fails. Remember with secondary motion you TRAIL the main movement by a frame or 2 - this applies to lose clothing, hair, and so on...

2. The Bunch/Pony Tail (if you keep it) needs addressing - the way you have it moving at the moment looks like it's rotating, it's too stiff... you need to loosen it up by applying the secondary motion techniques I'm referring to.

With this kind of movement you want to be trying to draw S shapes, and then the follow through shapes track along the same paths that you've just made, and then SNAP the movement by inverting the Curve...

I've done a rushed edit to illustrate this...

It's not perfect by any stretch but hopefully it illustrates what I'm trying to get at?

[edit] as a final note, having thought about it a bit further, you're using 8 frames for the run, so you may as well take advantage of that and rather than doing (what is essentially) a 4 frame loop for the hair bounce, use the 8 frames to enhance the hair further... I'd be inclined to swing it from right to left opposite to the rotation of the shoulders...

Keep on Pushin!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 07:23:19 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com