AuthorTopic: [wip] Rocks with grass - and other scenery  (Read 13160 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Rocks with grass - and other scenery

Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 08:11:30 pm
That's a much better change. Good work.

I went ahead and further exemplified my suggestion by editing the old tree palette a bit. If you'll notice each color builds up both in lightness and saturation. The tree example isn't really spot on as I didn't bother transposing the dark red and green before I messed with the colors.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 09:52:58 pm
Oh right "streamline your colours", I understand now (to cover as many shades as possible by spreading them out evenly).
Okay, is this palette better though?

it looks pretty loud but cool (maybe too intense for gameplay)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 02:31:39 am
Wow that tree is really coming along. I like the mockup so far, a lot. That cactus though, even for a quick sketch is far to scratchy in my opinion, but if you are fixing that already.... disregard this :-[.

OT tree talk-
Yes. Trees are one of the prettiest/coolest things. They are all so unique, but they also form together to make a uniform...forest... It's pretty sweet.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:35 am
It is a bit loud now. I think some of it might have to do with the loud background color. If you put the BG at a 50% gray you should be able to see just how loud it is. The yellows with tinges of green might not be cutting it. I'd probably pick yellows or greens with a faint hint of the other color for your two brightest colors.

I don't really want to direct you too much though so I'm going to just watch this post from here on out. Not because I don't want to help but because I don't want to have too much influence over your final result. Fabulous work so far, you've really improved it!

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 01:31:40 pm
I redid the tree but it hasn't really changed even though I started with the framework this time, I used pretty much the same technique by mistake. I think I'll stick to the one I have already and work on making it more detailed

-not better IMO-

Also I think the palette was better here - http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Obsidantion/1stMockupPalette3.png
with slightly less saturation so I'll try to make that more streamlined somehow.

- - - - - - - - - -
Here are the two last palettes against a 50% grey as suggested by AdamAtomic and Doppleganger.
My Preferred: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Obsidantion/1stMockupPalette3GreyBG.png
Latest: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Obsidantion/1stMockupPalette4GreyBG.png
- - - - - - - - - -
Malor, thanks for the comment, I'll probably not use the cactus now because it doesn't belong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:37:33 am by Obsidantion »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 02:21:02 pm
I like the latest tree best. The palette on your preferred tree is better though. The latest tree just conveys depth a lot better.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:26 pm
The latest images touch on an important point - the gray looks cold as anything because whole tihng is so damned warm!  you literally have nothing to balance the warm colors.  Right now it seems pretty fine, but when you put a character in, things are going to get strange.  If you mean a character cold, well, that's just funny.  If you make him enough hotter than the background to really pop, you'll need to be using MS paint colors..
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 03:46:44 pm
Doppleganger: I'm not sure which tree to go with yet, but I like the first one still, probably because of the shape, but if depth is a really important aspect I'll work it into that one more.

Adarias: I didn't even think about the characters. I'll address that issue when the time comes becuase it's difficult to know how it'll look until I have some or one to compare the scenery with.

Here's a house I'm hopeful will become better and I'll want to use:

(I know I've left the lightest colour out and I definately intend on using it)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 03:56:25 pm
unfortunately, that's one of the flattest houses I've ever seen. It's also gigantic compared to the size of the tree. Unless that's a really young tree.

At any rate, I would shrink it down quite a bit and maybe even make a thumbnail of it first. You can use the thumbnail to capture the most basic of shapes and light sources in hopes of creating more depth. I think your biggest problem is you're spreading the colors around too much. The colors, also, don't lend themselves well to the house.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 17, 2007, 12:22:04 am
I really like the colours and I'd like to try and apply them to everything in the game.

That house is bad, I should have spent the time defining the lighting and shadows as well as shape and size, which are much more important then random details. Also It looks too blocky and unnatural.
This is a thumbnail of the house:

This is a scale tumbnail illustrating the size of the house:

- - - - - - - - - -
I just wanted to quickly say, the last few of my threads, including this one, have been for game projects that I am not actually intending to make. They've all been to improve my game art. Just thought I'd make that clear incase anyone was hoping for them. It just dawned on me that I should probably make my intentions known at the start of every thread, so that people know what their help is contributing towards.
Nethertheless everyone's help so far has been excellent for me! Thank you pixelation :)
(and I want to make a small game soon for anyone who wants to play. Probably a board game with AI or something).