AuthorTopic: Suggestions please  (Read 5909 times)

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Suggestions please

on: August 11, 2007, 04:00:36 am
I'm new at pixel art and have only briefly gotten into drawing pixels rather than turning vectors and layers into smaller sprite bitmaps and letting the computer do things for me.  Pixel art is tedious I must say and my hat goes off to everyone who does this.  Anyway, I made a blob-like creature and didn't have a clue how to shade it or how to improve on what I have so far.  Previously, I took off the black border around the blob creature but I think it looks better with it.  However, my backgrounds for it to be placed on make it look like clip-art.  Any ideas or suggestions I could do to make this creature more realistic with the background and have more depth?  Thanks.  ;D  I've blown up the picture 2x for visibility.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Suggestions please

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:21:41 am
The shading is actually pretty good for starters. You defined shapes within the shape, giving it a very good 'blob' feel. The problem is, though, that you've given it no specific lightsource. The middle is lit, but that's the only part it seems the light is hitting from. I mean... it is a lightsource, but not a very productive one. So what you have now seems almost pillow-shaded, where you shade it from the outline in.
Also, other things I think you need to change is the dithering, and outlines. You've dithering an object that is gelatin in nature, very slimy, slick and glossy. Dithering completely kills this vision and gives it a rough texture. I think you need to go back and remove the dithering to smoothen things out a bit. It might also help to give it some nice highlights to define the gloss of the blob. About the dithering, black is strong and hard to look at around sprites most of the time, especially without AA. It would most likely look better with a dark green outline, or perhaps even without one at all(probably stretching it), and this goes for the rest of the sprite too, like the teeth and such.

ps. don't worry about posting 2x, the forums have a built-in zooming feature(click on an image, you'll see), so you might wanna go back and post them 1x.

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 05:03:14 am
Another update...

Thanks for the tips, I've smoothed the dithering out and replaced it with a color in-between both shades.  Also, changed the edges from black to a darker shade of the neighboring color.  I'm more pleased with it this way (without dithering).  THe lighting is still catching me off guard though (I think?)  I tried adding a lighted spot to give it a gelatin-like texture to it but so far so good.

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:16:42 am
That looks quite excellent to me, but something seems to be missing that I can't specify. Perhaps lack of certain details?
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:24:37 am
i think i know what it lacks...  remember in the matrix when the Agent seals Neo's mouth?  I think i'll add a bit of slime/skin connecting towards the end of his mouth on this side and back side (behind the teeth). 

And the other thing I think is the jaw (the skin there comes over the teeth),  I'll try to fix it.

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 05:34:38 am
On second thought, the bit at the lower right of the blob looks rather pointy. Perhaps you should smooth that out?

(Edit:)

Like this:

Just a thought, maybe.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:39:46 am by Ornust »
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 05:46:20 am
How about this...?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 05:47:56 am
Much better stuff, now you just need to AA the outlines of stuff like the teeth. It'll really make them look a lot more smoother.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 05:49:03 am
You could add some slime in the mouth  and from teeth to teeth

Offline JimKurth

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 06:14:54 am
wow, I can't believe how great it looks from the first drawing.  I just drew the outline with my mouse and started with just 1 nasty green color.  Wow.  I still can't believe it.  I have to read some tutorials on AA (I have bookmarks on my browser) so I can get the teeth to look more defined and I'll have some slime seep down from the top of the mouth into the gumline.

Thanks everybody!  Wish I could stay up all night to do this.  Gotta work in 5 hours though.