AuthorTopic: Poppin Mockup Continuation  (Read 31980 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Poppin Mockup Continuation

Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42:02 pm
Well, I think if it's a Zelda-clone kind of game, doing any other tree would kind of ruin it. I mean, it's good and all if you're going to try and make a different game, but if it's purposely going to be just like Zelda, maybe keeping the same tree, no matter the drawbacks, would be wise.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:37:14 pm
Dusty what you mean is correct, but why make a clone which contain certain "rules" when you can make something original and  better. maybe he can combine the old trees with the trees posted by Helm.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 10:26:18 pm
I, for one, like the trees. Although they look a bit too organic (which isn't really a bad thing at all!--But in this particular style, it should matter.), they could still pass off as cute trees if you lighten up the shades that define the square-shaped bushes. The problem with doing something that's not truly symmetric is that you'll have to do other trees with different "tumour" (bush) arrangements to grant its style verosimilitude. Other than that, the roots are the only thing that bothers me. Maybe, should you make the trunk-length bigger (and thus letting us see further trunk), it'll do it more justice. Otherwise, you could just as well remove half their presence and shade them with dark brown and we wouldn't notice them as much. If the latter appeals you, perhaps, too, add small roots coming out and in again from the ground, farther away from the tree.

If I were to make the trunk length longer it would unfortunately push the rest upwards..thus breaking out of the 64x64 area. The only other option would be to make the greenery shorter which would again run into the issue of a stumpy looking tree haha.

I've worked some more on the tree though which you can see below.

I don't think non-symetric trees would be a good idea in a game that uses alot of flipped tiles and has a simple look. I preferred the second type of tree but thought the trunk is really lacking detail. They look more like poles going up rather than roots extending from the trunk. I think if they were redone, that tree would look good.

Unfortunately that tree was too similar to what it was based off of. I don't like the look of symmetrical trees in most cases either. Either way though this is in no way meant for an actual game so individual tile count isnt something im too worried about.

New tree - good in principle, lacking in realization.  This style will benefit from making the shapes round and appealing, even though that isn't very treeish, because the tree already isn't very treeish and there's no need to weaken the thing by being neither this nor that.

I feel very stupid haha. What exactly are you saying? xD

Are you sure you really need 4x4 tile trees though? Have you considered making connectable tree mass you can shape by smaller tiles?

I had thought of that, but I dont think it would match what i'm going for. To me connected tree masses like that look like forest lines rather than individual trees.

Helm has a very good point that warrants repeating. Zelda's trees are pretty and all, but Chaos Engine's trees look infinitely more tree-ish.

I'm not specifically looking for something that looks realistic. Obviously I want it to actually look like a tree, but more cartoony.

Dusty what you mean is correct, but why make a clone which contain certain "rules" when you can make something original and  better. maybe he can combine the old trees with the trees posted by Helm.

I'm not trying to copy Zelda directly. Rather the game held elements in style that already reflected my own. Cutesy..simple..etc. Visit my Gallery and you'll see what I mean.

------------------

With all that aside, here is an update

- lightened the lines within the tree that defined its 'tumors'
- redid roots
- redid grass tiles
- worked more on stairs (still doesnt look right)

still need to:

- redo path
- finish stairs
- add in dock
- more enemies?
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 11:58:39 pm
i think the path would benefit from rounded corners and maybe a bit more detail where the grass and dirt meet.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 01:20:20 am
Basically what I was saying was that the new tree is a much better idea (great in principle) but that the strange shape of the lumps was throwing it off (lacking in realization).  If you are not going for pure realism in favor of cartoony, there's no need to make it too strange and lumpy; you might as well keep the tumors nice and round.  Having a tree that was highly simplified (neither this) but not cute (nor that) would suck.

Update is a step in the right direction, I think it's about another two steps away though before it has all of it's charm back.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 03:42:39 am
You pretty much fixed what I was trying to say. Before the lumps looked like they were separate, and hardly a part of the same tree so much as a cluster of closely grown trees.
Man, why couldn't I have said that before?
No matter, it looks loads better now.
And to ditto Feron, a rounded path would be great.

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 12:25:11 pm
I'm really liking the trees now, they have a sense of motion about them that's very appealing. I'm not sure if you're already working on it, but i just thought i'd back the comments on the path being too straight. It just doesn't work with the organic style you've got going here. Also, the blue flowers your character is chopping up look a bit strange. Very sharp and noisy, in a way. I think a more abstract representation would do the trick here. Maybe it's because of all the internal lines. I realise you're using those to define the shapes, but it really seems like it doesn't leave quite enough space for the actual forms they're trying to describe.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: August 16, 2007, 02:55:50 pm
sorta OT now but the red lines indicate the parts of the mockup I edited.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #48 on: August 16, 2007, 10:10:01 pm
sorta OT now but the red lines indicate the parts of the mockup I edited.

ohh okay haha xD; duh@me

---

Here's another update.

what i've done:

- edited the path
- added the dock
- added waterline pillars

what i need to do:

- rework interface

-------------------------------------

EDIT://

I'm going to redo the path again. I dont like it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:45:05 pm by Jericho »
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Jace

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 17, 2007, 12:32:06 am
The only problem with the path is it is over textured compared to everything else. Keep the curve of the path, It adds to the fun feel of everything. As for where the grass meets the dirt, it currently looks like tire marks because of it's detail. Decrees the amount of overlapping grass.