AuthorTopic: Poppin Mockup Continuation  (Read 31988 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Poppin Mockup Continuation

Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 06:41:25 am
Bleuwassstaaahhh???
Erm, sorry.
What I meant was that new tree looks like a gathering of tumors or something. I mean...I mean...that doesn't even really look like a tree. I think you should just like, start from complete scratch...well, I mean, it looks like you already did, but I think more like some redesigns of the fundamental treeeness. I mean, you can still see aspects of the ol' tree that carried over (and not just the squatness, but the complete and utter flatness of the top, like someone ironed it down or something.) I think the trunk is...flecgh, as well. I think a squat treetrunk would be groovy.

Its not immediately apparent that the push rock was pushed. It still looks, to me, like the stairs go down into a building rather than the earth. Maybe some grass on the scrape-marks rather than that straight brown you have now...?

Anyway, yeah, lookin' cool. I 'specially like the wawa.
And I keep thinking the cliff is a fence for some reason.

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 06:47:55 am
Bleuwassstaaahhh???
Erm, sorry.
What I meant was that new tree looks like a gathering of tumors or something. I mean...I mean...that doesn't even really look like a tree. I think you should just like, start from complete scratch...well, I mean, it looks like you already did, but I think more like some redesigns of the fundamental treeeness. I mean, you can still see aspects of the ol' tree that carried over (and not just the squatness, but the complete and utter flatness of the top, like someone ironed it down or something.) I think the trunk is...flecgh, as well. I think a squat treetrunk would be groovy.

Its not immediately apparent that the push rock was pushed. It still looks, to me, like the stairs go down into a building rather than the earth. Maybe some grass on the scrape-marks rather than that straight brown you have now...?

Anyway, yeah, lookin' cool. I 'specially like the wawa.
And I keep thinking the cliff is a fence for some reason.

haha how would you suggest i 'fix' these tumors? I mean trees are in no way uniformly round so I just tried giving it some character ^^;. I guess I didnt succeed? haha i dunno. As for  the flat top, would adding another colour to the palette help that maybe?

EDIT://

kinda like this? Still needs tweaking btu you get the idea lol

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:51:19 am by Jericho »
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 07:01:49 am
 :-\
Well, not really. I mean, the basic shape you have there doesn't resemble a tree. I mean, I know trees are "in no way [uniform]" but...Well, it looks like this is just a ball of lumpy clay that's been flattened, whereas treetops bear more resemblance to, I dunno, say...Treetops? (I'm terribly sorry, I can't think of a good example.) Like...layers. Yeah, that's it. Trees have different layers. like, layers to cast shadows on layers beneath and...umm...
I think this recent thread has a good example: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4727.0. I mean, the tree (in the aforementioned thread) has clumps, sure, but not lumps. Eurrrg, I'm being very unhelpful aren't I? >:(
Mmmmm...I think I'll let someone more able to articulate what they mean critique this.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:02 am

something like this for the stairs, perhaps?

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 10:40:00 am
:-\
Well, not really. I mean, the basic shape you have there doesn't resemble a tree. I mean, I know trees are "in no way [uniform]" but...Well, it looks like this is just a ball of lumpy clay that's been flattened, whereas treetops bear more resemblance to, I dunno, say...Treetops? (I'm terribly sorry, I can't think of a good example.) Like...layers. Yeah, that's it. Trees have different layers. like, layers to cast shadows on layers beneath and...umm...
I think this recent thread has a good example: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4727.0. I mean, the tree (in the aforementioned thread) has clumps, sure, but not lumps. Eurrrg, I'm being very unhelpful aren't I? >:(
Mmmmm...I think I'll let someone more able to articulate what they mean critique this.

lmao, yeah i think im just getting confused XD hahaha. I understand..sort of..what you're getting at but do not know how to implement such a thing at this angle.

something like this for the stairs, perhaps?
deffinitely looks much better than mine. It almost looks like a big hole now though rather than stairs.
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 01:14:05 pm
(After she stating that it was inspired on LOZ, and truly, doing such a comparison so rudely stated deserves no applause. They're not rips, although they bear similarity. But please, the similarity--the grass--is almost a green square. I've sprited many green squares in my life, so witchhunt me, too.)

I, for one, like the trees. Although they look a bit too organic (which isn't really a bad thing at all!--But in this particular style, it should matter.), they could still pass off as cute trees if you lighten up the shades that define the square-shaped bushes. The problem with doing something that's not truly symmetric is that you'll have to do other trees with different "tumour" (bush) arrangements to grant its style verosimilitude. Other than that, the roots are the only thing that bothers me. Maybe, should you make the trunk-length bigger (and thus letting us see further trunk), it'll do it more justice. Otherwise, you could just as well remove half their presence and shade them with dark brown and we wouldn't notice them as much. If the latter appeals you, perhaps, too, add small roots coming out and in again from the ground, farther away from the tree.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:27:09 pm by Alonso »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 01:53:28 pm
I don't think non-symetric trees would be a good idea in a game that uses alot of flipped tiles and has a simple look. I preferred the second type of tree but thought the trunk is really lacking detail. They look more like poles going up rather than roots extending from the trunk. I think if they were redone, that tree would look good.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 08:08:19 pm
New tree - good in principle, lacking in realization.  This style will benefit from making the shapes round and appealing, even though that isn't very treeish, because the tree already isn't very treeish and there's no need to weaken the thing by being neither this nor that.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 04:02:26 am
Are you sure you really need 4x4 tile trees though? Have you considered making connectable tree mass you can shape by smaller tiles?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 07:39:40 pm
Helm has a very good point that warrants repeating. Zelda's trees are pretty and all, but Chaos Engine's trees look infinitely more tree-ish.
I mild from suffer dislexia.