AuthorTopic: fighter sprite  (Read 8174 times)

Offline billybob

• View Profile

fighter sprite

on: August 02, 2007, 09:56:13 pm

any crits?

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Re: fighter sprite

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 10:02:48 pm
The arms are too short.  :D
The Newbie's Newb.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:41 pm
The arms are too short.  :D

Do not post one-liners. And the arms aren't too short as much as they are of different lengths and very malformed. I suggest ground-up anatomy studies, billybob. The head is not fixed on any coherent neck, the arms have odd segmentations that do not suggest any anatomy I understand. The hands themselves are unclear, improvised. Your character is leaning off of his center of gravity. His face is a symbolic represenation of a face (I can see eyes, nose, mouth, no ears though) whereas what you should be drawing should be actual faces from reference, not consulting your subconscious memory of what makes a face be a face. It's not a collection of symbols. It has volumes.

I like the creative use of color, the tinting in the pants. however you probably don't want to have a lightsource on the side for a fighter sprite, as when it flips, the lightsource will flip with it.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:17:28 pm
Jesus, that list of links would terrify even myself. While the pages linked are helpful in and of themselves, posting a metric fuckton of tutorial and reference links without any sort of context isn't exactly useful.

billybob:
I would suggest studying up on human anatomy. At the very least put yourself in the pose you're trying to recreate and look at yourself in the mirror. Even better would be to wear similar clothing. You should immediately see a ton of mistakes.
1. Right arm is entirely too short. The musculature on said arm is also, well, imaginary.
2. Left arm looks broken. I think it's the way the wrist bends, and possibly the low placement of the entire forearm.
3. Brave attempt on the drapery, but the folds are, as with the musculature, imaginary. Again, take a look in the mirror.
4. Ankles are non-existent, and the feet retain the same width throughout. Mirror.
5. Legs are potentially a bit too short. Typically you should be able to bring your knee roughly up to the level of your clavicle.
6. Head is attached incorrectly. It's sitting too far back on the neck. There's also too much face on there (it looks like the face stretches all the way to the rear third of the skull). That said, at least within that, the actual facial proportions are sound.

At least your lighting's relatively consistent. :p
Let's see an update.

[got instaposted by Helm]

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:21:02 pm
Jesus, that list of links would terrify even myself. While the pages linked are helpful in and of themselves, posting a metric fuckton of tutorial and reference links without any sort of context isn't exactly useful.
Good point, I organized em a bit, hopefully that helps.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:27:04 am
Bengosha, stop trying so hard. It's actually a bit presumptuous to throw links to tutorials in the face of users. They might have read these tutorials for all you know. They come here to get specific human help from the users. You don't have to go to every thread and post tutorial links. In fact, it's not about what you have to do, I am asking you to not do it again unless the users are asking for tutorials specifically or if the tutorial in question answers a specific issue about the art posted that you - and noone else thus far in the thread - can clearly communicate. Simply put (and this isn't in the rules and regulations because simply we never thought anyone would not consider it common sense): Do not try to help people with your critique until you have the knowledge and knowhow to do it. Lented strength by being our little tutorial-posting bot will not endear you to anyone here.

You're trying too hard. Post less, post when you really have something to say. If you have any questions, PM me.

I will have no more comments about bengoshia or his critiquing attemps in this or any other thread on the critique board. Take it in the OT if you want. Don't gang up on people, don't crucify them. It doesn't serve anyone, least of all the artists and the critique process.

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:23:24 am
its funny because in my first version (which was alot less better than this) zeid said the head was too far forward, now its too far back :blind:, But I'll fix it anyway (but later because I have to practice keyboard)

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 02:42:02 pm
Sorry for almost nuking out your sprite, but this is my honest (But bad. :P) attempt at addressing a few anatomy issues.

Generally the position of your whole character. I have not finished the head due to my lower skills in that area. I noticed now that I have misplaced his left foot a bit. Ah well. =/

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 09:54:22 pm
I did what you guys said too do (I think and hope) here: