AuthorTopic: the win ship.  (Read 10331 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: judge me o:<

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 07:43:43 am
It should be noted that my reply was built up from reading a few of your recent comments, Benoshia. :crazy:

And I'm not saying everything should be tiny and viewed at an eighth of the standard resolution today, I'm just saying it CAN be.

And finally: The highlight on the ship should be on the opposite side of where it is now, when turning.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Re: judge me o:< - huge update

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 12:48:12 am
newest edition:

not sure how to go about the flames, crits please (:

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 01:25:58 am
Alright, the problem I've been seing is you haven't been adding enough contrast and you just aren't giving it that 3D feel, it looks flat, you gotta make it look 3D. I did a quick edit with the colors, added a few colors, did some tweaks here and there and gave it a light source:

Your lines are great man, you just gotta work on those colors.

Edit: Choosing a top-down light source is the best choice, especially for games, when it's from the top-right like mine, well, when you make the turning sprites, you have to make them fit with the light source, it's alot easier to flip the sprite if the light source is coming from top-down. Here's some good reference of a shooter game: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4211.0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:04:29 am by bengoshia »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 06:22:08 am
The size is fine for the ships. It just makes things more challenging to keep things readable. You need to shade the ship in terms of a lightsource. Also the palette really lacked contrast. Here's an edit I did to maybe give you an idea;

EDIT: Alternate palette;

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:26:02 am by EyeCraft »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 07:01:54 am
I just want to mention (since halu didnt :hehe:) that this sprite is for a PSP project of his.
large screen, so I'd go with a larger sprite for the player
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:16 pm
you were STILL just telling him to make it bigger for the hell of it. As far as you knew he might as well have been working on a cellphone, OR it might have turned out he wasnt using it for a project at all, BOTH of which would have made the comment atrocious, the way things turned out DO NOT change your clueless decision, and it does not make you right.

THE POINT IS DONT TELL PEOPLE TO MAKE STUFF BIGGER FOR THE HELL OF IT....stop pushing it  ::)

Halu, it's a really good idea to give as much detail about the project your work is for as you can.

um, right now the ship kinda looks like some...spider-ish 2 legged monster robot thing. I dont know how to put it, just make it ship-like. do you see what I mean? those roundish crusty parts at the top seem like torax/head of the robot (maybe it's a echolocation robot so it doesnt need eyes)  and the "flames" seem like legs.

are there any levels where it flies in the atmosphere? if there are...it's a really good idea to make it aero-dynamic.Even if there arent, in general, it's just a good idea to make small ships like that aero-dynamic. Look at gradius, that's a pure spaceship but they still made it aero-dynamic. If you dont want to go that way, maybe you could have a design that's a bit more like a satelite, think maybe...Tie-Figthers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 04:29:21 pm by Conceit »

Offline halu

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 11:49:58 pm
my bad, forgot to mention taka heavily helped me, he told me how to do certain things and model it after something.
taka = <3.
also bengoshia, that looks sexy as hell :3
I wasn't finished shading, so I'm note sure how 3D it would have turned out, but, thanks :3

edit:
changed color, tried to add depth ->
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:25:37 am by halu »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: judge me o:< - hugerer update

Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 02:41:54 am
Alright! Thats looking much better! ;D But once again, we're running into that light source problem, it's not defined that well and it still needs a bit more contrast, I'm also seeing a useless color or two in there:

Man I looooove editing these, so fun they are! Okay, like I said before, you should use a top-down light-source, this piece shows that, now unless your game is gonna be christmas oriented, I think you should change the green to purple or orange, I made it a purple-ish pink in the edit. I took off the side things because then it's easier to give it that 3D effect, especially from, you know, a top down view/light-source, if you'd like you could curve the lines to make those look 3D along with it, though it is tricky. I'll probably edit my edit later, due to it having an odd shade here and there.... for the most part I think it gets my point across.

Remember: It's metal, making it shiny is the key!
Uhh let's see what else? Oh yeah, to make it easier on yourself for enemy variations, doing recolors is pretty useful, though don't over do it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:57:49 am by bengoshia »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:45 am
hmm a nice improvement, but I would suggest adding more contrast, to give it a shiny-ish look about it, because it is metal. Bengoshia's edit is a quite nice example of what I mean. Keep it up. :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline halu

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 10:12:03 pm

Update after a long time, I've been absent due to being grounded olololo.
anyway yeah, thanks for the continuos tips bengoshia (:

and yes, those are ben's colors.