AuthorTopic: New guys (and some old guys) READ THIS THREAD  (Read 10364 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: New guys (and some old guys) READ THIS THREAD

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 02:36:36 pm
I don't think that the postcount /-rank matters (at least not for me). I think it is more that they try to make one's name.

I think the most important part is the content of a message. If it is pure fan-boy-ism like 'OMFG, THIS ROXX' or the opposite 'BHAA, THIS SUKS' then of course one lines should be deleted. But even if there is a long message (a few hundred words) and the content is like the afore mentioned, then it should be deleted as well, wheather it took time to create the message.

The other way round: if a short message contains every aspect like a longer, but not that well phrased message, why should it be deleted? Maybe the emssage sounds a bit harsh, but if the content is the same (and it is possible to get it) why should this be a bad habit? My mother tongue is german and I haven't got many experience in talking english, thus my answers may be phrased more complicated then needed. Maybe a native speaker could formulate it in one sentence where others need a dozen?

Uhm.. I hope I didn't got anything wrong  ???

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 03:35:20 pm
Long messages will never be deleted because there usually is something useful in them although most of the message could be OT. If there is something the artist could grab onto and do good with it, it stays.

Pixelation quality control (on the critique board) is pretty simple: if it's not critique, it is a candidate for deletation. If it is critique of any kind (even the kind most would consider bad), we let the artist himself choose whether they want to follow faulty advice or not. Other users might feel inclined to counter-critique the bad critique and this is fine, everybody learns from that. But I don't want to hear any of you asking that bad critique should be deleted (like that xhardcorex croc). It never wil. Just post in the thread with a compelling counter-argument. The original artist has a brain, they will use it.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 03:39:23 am
Unless it's a well structured list of relevant points of concern, I'd rather not read multiple paragraphs of critique. Personally, I'm not a fan of filler, I don't like the idea of fluffing my posts to make myself feel more accomplished, but I do understand that this isn't necessarily about that. I don't think removing post counts and ranks will remedy this. It's something people just have to keep in mind is all.

Seems like we have this sort of talk about once every year. Serve up a better than average critique periodically and everyone breathes a little easier.

I don't know why I posted this. To stint Ptoing and Adarias' productivity, I suppose.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 11:19:17 am
What about the reverse situation, people posting artwork for criticism that are simply too small and/or effortlessly done?
Anything smaller than 16x16 should either be animated or atleast feature some kind of skill.
I think there should be a rule about that as well.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 11:34:13 am
Anything smaller than 16x16 should either be animated or atleast feature some kind of skill.
I think there should be a rule about that as well.

We all have to start somewhere, and id rather a 16x16 sprite than a 400x400 oekaki anime drawing with shit anatomy that will help nobody improve regardless of critique.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 08:22:16 pm
While I've been a bit of a problem myself, I noticed that alot of newcomers are expecting us to you know, animate for them without even attempting themselves, what should we do about that?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:35 pm
We should not post oneliners referring to ONE specific poster; its rude and unnecessary as the situation was already handled.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 08:46:09 pm
What, one person did this? Nobody's expected to make stuff for other people. Do whatever you want (even make their art for them if you feel like it, for all I care) as long as you don't break the rules of the forum. Best idea is to ignore such users, if they don't get what they want they leave. This isn't a usergroup-consensus issue so there's nothing to discuss unless it becomes a strong trend, and then it will be crushed by FAQ amendment.

There's so many things people do that we never thought anyone would attempt, which are not covered in the FAQ and are delt with on a case-by-case basis until they happen too much.