AuthorTopic: fighter sprite  (Read 8176 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: fighter sprite

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:48:37 am
its funny because in my first version (which was alot less better than this) zeid said the head was too far forward, now its too far back
3. his head is not placed on his neck correctly, it should be back further, right now it looks as though it is connecting to the middle which doesnt leave room for much of a jaw and also gives a bit much of a chin to the back of his head.
Actually yes on the other forum I made a mistake in my wording but if you re-read it all then it will make sense, particularly with the edit I provided.

As you can see from the edit (though far from perfect [please ignore the pose it was a slight attempt at correcting you anatomy]) the head neck alignment is more correct then your current one. When I included the phrase "it should be back further" I was referring to the position of both the neck with the head.
I also mentioned that the jaw hadn't enough room so I am in complete agreement with LoTekK
It's sitting too far back on the neck.
>
this is your previous version compared to your current version. I wouldn't say the old version was better at all. I would say that you should ditch the details and get a nice structure first (make a silhouette) you may use different colours to represent different parts that could overlap, for instance 1 red arm, 1 blue body, 1 green arm, etc. Then we can all help you get the form and pose right in a more step by step fashion (of course whether you wish to is up to you, if anyone agrees or thinks this would be too major say so). Right now you seem very distracted by details that makes the piece look bad overall I think that this could help.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 10:45:53 am
I did what you guys said too do (I think and hope)
Granted you touched a couple of points, but you missed some of the most basic and important ones.
1. Study up on some anatomy, because you still have completely made-up muscles on the right arm. The deltoid looks like a pauldron, what appears to be the triceps looks like a big flap of flesh that stretches past the elbow, etc.
2. It looks like you actually added more folds to the clothing, when it was made clear that the fold structure is completely incorrect.
3. It seems apparent that you didn't refer to zeid's rather helpful edit, since his fixes numerous issues that have already been pointed out in this thread.

I would take zeid's advice and really go back to basics. Focus on getting a solid silhouette first, so you can nail the proportions and posture, before you waste your own time futzing with details. Adding details prematurely simply tends to make you less willing to make sweeping yet necessary structural changes, due to the time you've spent on said details. Even if you're willing, why not spend that time more constructively by nailing the proportions and posture? Quickly sketching out silhouettes also has the benefit of allowing you to explore options you may not have initially thought about (different postures, etc).

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:11:25 am
ok, so basically... redo it. well that will be fun, I'm keeping the old version for color referance

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 02:30:23 pm
Well when you really think about it, it should be much more fun (easier and make more sense) then going over, and over the piece until you work out every single little mistake. Seeing as you have to amend so much regarding anatomy and pose you will have to remove all the details either way as you attempt to fix areas and reposition things. The only difference is doing it the way you are doing now requires you to go over it one piece at a time, which can get confusing and leads to a worse result then I'm suggesting. If your piece had a few small errors then it would be stupid going right down to the basics, but this isn't the case. At present it is actually quite hard to tell what you want the piece to look like which makes it very hard for us to critique. If you go back to a silhouette we can say how the different structures will look and should be positioned, after we say that you have the shape right you can add all the detail you want. By all means keep the colours from the old one, they aren't my primary concern I really am concerned for the anatomy and pose of the piece. Also I don't see why you would delete the old version, is your computer that low on hard drive space. ::)

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 04:13:47 pm
it might be a chance to make the light source from the top :P also I wont do an outline either

EDIT:

not sure but I think the pose is good

EDIT2:

I edited a couple of proportion problems, though I can figure out a way to make it so he is 7 heads high he is 6 right now
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:39:53 pm by billybob »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:28:40 am
That's because you left out his hips entirely!

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 05:56:05 am
I was just about to say that and provide a little edit.

This edit has some guide lines to help give a 3d impression I put them in last for your benefit. You may notice even though he may be wearing jeans I sketched it out as though he had none. At this stage try and get the body right, such things as clothing drapes around the body and so it is imperative that the structures underneath the clothing look correct (they don't need detail just the right shape and correct impression of depth). You also left out the feet and hands, really they will help if you get them at least in as place holders. Your previous feet had a lot of issues regarding perspective and looked a little like they should have been on someone who was flying, this may have been caused by putting them on without a guide. The chest area I tweaked a bit so it was shaped more, again this may be the clothing thing. Your silhouette gives a hunched impression from the way you have shaped the chest and over lengthened the shoulders. Your arms are to fat, the forearm should get smaller as it slopes towards the wrist and the elbow should protrude more. The shoulders need to be brought in more (as mentioned previously). My edit is by no means all correct but it is closer. You may notice I didn't tackle pose at all. I think the pose is a bit flimsy for a fighter, it isn't at all aggressive or all that defensive. The arm positioning still confuses me and the legs are a bit to close together still.

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 01:55:45 pm
hm, good point I shall edit.

Offline billybob

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 11:34:21 pm

any better

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:55 am
On zeid's edit, notice the thinning at the knees and thighs. I think you're oversimplifying forms too much, everything is blobs. Your older sprite is the same - textured blobs. You'll have a lot less trouble defining the shape of things if you go and find out what shape they are, first.