AuthorTopic: Face Study  (Read 12966 times)

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Character

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 11:45:16 pm
First, I'm glad you guys liked my edit.  :D I still think it's a bit too much time for something just meant to show a few techniques (and as Feron have mentioned, one might feel discouraged to go on. But it's so much fun! ;D ).
Although is good to know that an artist I respect thinks 1/2 hour is cool.

Obsidantion: I don't think you should worry about gobbling it all up at once, but IMHO you should start with:

1. (in this case) researching the human anatomy.
----Google for resources and remember you own one of these! Stand in front of the mirror and move your head so you can understand how muscle/fat/bones show on the surface of your skin. Then how light affects it.

2. Pixeling techniques (videos: this topic have helped me a great deal in the last weeks of learning)
----a. coloring -> This is THE place to learn. Adarias, Helm, Arachne... many topics covering the art of picking a good palette. Check this out!
----a. AA -> there are some seriously cool topics on this subject, right here on the forums! Derek Yu did a great job explaining this.
----b. shading -> When I was starting, I used to render basic 3D volumes/light sources, oppening the image on photoshop and turn it into pixel art without tracing or using the eyedropper tool. Again, Derek yu explains how to use dither.

Anyway: be patient, grasshopper. Try not to get too frustrated and keep practicing, because none of the best artists I know learned everything within a week.

Cheers!
-Stefano

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 01:17:49 am
I feel both inspired and overwhelmed! But I shall try my best!
Here's what I've been doing:

The 2 smaller images are references (the lower is a contrasted version of the upper to pick out shadow).
It took me 40 mins :-\ to draw my version (I use a laptop pad with no mouse if it's relevent to say).

Would it be okay if I used this thread to post my studies of the human face (it might litter it up a bit) so I can get feedback?

Thank you everyone for your help, I am truly grateful! Pixelation is a wonderful thing!

(P.S. I have already visited all those links (and downloaded all the videos) Stefano ;D but I will study them all in depth so that I may now understand things I didn't have experience of the first time.)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:20 am
you're very welcome to continue posting face studies in this thread!  i think you'll find that working with a tablet will remove some of the technical or time-related barriers you may be bumping up against.  You can get a nice refurbed wacom for under $100, and it is money VERY well-spent!  keep at it!

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Re: Face Study

Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 04:13:35 am
AdamAtomic: I'll stick to my touch pad for now, but in the future I'll remember your suggestion "refurb wacom", thanks.

I gave myself 60 mins to draw, each frame in the WIP is a 10 minute interval.

Reference:

One Hour Elapsed:                        WIP Animation:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 04:49:16 am by Obsidantion »

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 07:34:27 pm
Another 1 hour face study:

Please comment if you have any thoughts, techniques or exercises I could do to help me improve, Thanks.
Quite a long way to go yet.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 07:36:58 pm
I wouldn't use 3d models as references.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 08:57:30 pm
Faceless: Is that because the lighting is artificial?

20 minutes:

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 09:34:20 pm
I think it's because the guy who made the 3D face could not make it perfect. Therefore you'd be learning from a source with mistakes.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:55 pm
The nose in your latest looks a bit bulbous and pretty huge.
Keep at it though, and don't forget to pay attention to the generalities that can be applied when you work without a reference, such as the proportions and form. Make sure you're not just trying to copy it as well as you can, you know?

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 08:30:17 pm
Xion: I am having trouble with proportions but I get what you mean about making the picture look correct from memory rather then reference because I am aiming to make my art look good and not necessarily a precise copy of anything.

1 hour:

If you want, posting your own face studies here would be great help ;D