AuthorTopic: Face Study  (Read 12963 times)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Face Study

on: July 24, 2007, 02:25:03 am
Hello, I've made a character portrait for a game and I'm in need of some pixelling tips. Please comment, I really value the help here.

Portrait:
       Original:                  Latest:

Sprite:
 Original:    Latest:

P.S. I need an idea for a generic background to go with any portrait, like a pattern or something that doesn't distract from the character.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 04:48:58 am by Obsidantion »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: [WIP] RPG Character Portrait

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:32:57 am
 Nothing really seems to fit properly. It gives the impression is of a mask with a wig stuffed in, because there's no illusion of depth. The hat looks a bit slug-shaped, and doesn't seem to fit the head. All the anatomy's a bit off mark.

I say give him an ear to make him less maskey (not like mine, though, it's terrible. Actually look at a picture of an ear while you do it, like I didn't, and it'll shape up a lot better), change the shading to give him more depth, and change the shape of the hat to fit his head. At first I thought the eyes were placed wrong, but I haven't moved them. I did move the far side of his face in, though. I also changed the feather - I think it ought to be more round. If you want to make it fluffy, try to do do that with shading. Breaking up the edges compromises its featheryness.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:46:51 am by tocky »

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:06:20 pm
Hey, Excellent edit! Thank you so much.
I tried to answer all your crits in this update. Don't know if the feather looks any good though.

(Your character is much more attractive, I think because he has a thinner and more defined face. I would like to be able to pull that off)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 03:34:28 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:28:13 pm
I just made this very very quick edit (in paint) to show you how some AA could further improve your piece (didnt touch shadin/anatomy/colors)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 12:04:23 am
Good stuff, AA. I made him slightly more heroic looking and added a bg.

Please comment =)

-Edit-
Moved the ear back to look more anatomically correct
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:18:05 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:22:28 pm
What sort of character is he? To me, he looks a bit too young to be a hero (if that's what you're going for) and more like a troubadour. :D

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 08:31:33 pm
What sort of character is he? To me, he looks a bit too young to be a hero (if that's what you're going for) and more like a troubadour. :D

Goku was very young and yet he was still a hero. o.o

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:00:30 pm
I guess he's like link from zelda (I'll think about who he's going to be).
Here's a sprite of him as part of an anim that is yet to be made, could use a lot of help.
(If you would like me to make the walking animation before, I will)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:09:33 pm by Obsidantion »

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 03:23:12 am
Make his stance less stiff, arms looser and his shoulder lower, unless he likes to walk like a dinosaur. :) :D

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 12:31:49 pm
You've got sort of a mechanical/geometric/symmetrical thing going, which, while common enough (especially in isometric pixels), is kind of wrong for drawing people. People should be organic, curvey, and asymmetrical - leaning more one one foot than the other, shoulders very slightly opposed to hips, and so on. He's too straight, basically, too precisely vertical. I'll see what I can do with an edit, though I'm on shakier ground here than with faces. I like this tutorial (well, the second page, mostly) for drawing bodies - though it's hard to pull off at this scale, in any case. I think this is why so many games use chibi/bloboid sprites.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:48:24 pm by tocky »