AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sidescroller mockup, very work-in-progress  (Read 9375 times)

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sidescroller mockup, very work-in-progress

Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 02:51:54 am
Uhm, okay. Anything specific about the dirt that makes it not look like dirt? How should I go about fixing this? You've been awfully vague as to any possible solution to this problem.
hehe, sorry about that. The circles don't read as being dirt, dirt doesn't contain such large particles. Smaller bits should be used. Also, only two colors are really visible in the dirt, so that third one should be more visible, make it lighter.

Here's a reference pic from Secret of Mana 3: http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/courses/frontiers-06/samples/pixel-artist/13.gif
Top-down, but that doesn't really matter for something like this. Dirt is dirt is dirt, looks the same from every angle, imo at least.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:20 am
Thanks Stefano, and Zero for elaborating. I'll hopefully get this corrected in the next iteration of the grass/dirt tileset. Keep the critiques coming, don't be afraid to edit, if you want!

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:28:38 am
Noooooo. don't make it look like dirt. I like how it is now. It reads like a weird stone/dirt hybrid. It doesn't have to be a pixel perfect replica of dirt just because you call it a dirt tile. The only things I don't like are the transition between grass and dirt/stone, and the washed out darkest shade on your dirt. The transition is sloppy/jagged, while the darkest colour is too close to the next darkest and makes your dirt look flat.

Take a really good look at your transition tiles. The flatness of your dirt is most pronounced there.

I like what you've done with the grass in the latest updates. I just love how shaggy it is.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 01:47:44 pm
Noooooo. don't make it look like dirt. I like how it is now. It reads like a weird stone/dirt hybrid. It doesn't have to be a pixel perfect replica of dirt just because you call it a dirt tile.

Um, given the fact that he's taken a relatively realistic approach to the grass, and the fact that he wants to put some dirt under the grass, I would say yes, yes the dirt tile SHOULD look like dirt.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 06:55:53 pm
I tried making some other dirt, and making a better grass/dirt transition, but I'm not that satisfied with either. Also, Stefano, after considering shortening my grass, I realized the eccentric length and bushiness was part of the appeal to me. Not really willing part with that. :/

I really, really, hate drawing dirt. Consulting Seiken Densetsu 2 screens didn't necessarily make it much easier to draw. But I tried, nonetheless. Is it at least an improvement over the spotty pebblish brown blob stuff that was there before?

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 11:01:14 pm
perhaps add a last highlight to the blades for a crisp, bold look. It will add more character and depth to your tiles