AuthorTopic: Zombie Town  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Zombie Town

on: July 15, 2007, 05:39:07 pm

Just a tileset I've been working on for a zombie game. In practice, it probably won't be so road heavy.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Re: Zombie Town

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:49:35 pm
nice choice of color.

you could do some shading/lighting to make it pop out... it looks really flat.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 07:04:04 pm
that would be good but then he would have to change one piece just for one or more locations just because theres a light source. like he said its a tileset so. hed have to make a seperate building for the lighting.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:09:53 am
I disagree with it having a good color choice, the roads look odd, there's barely any texture in anything, there's some texture in the grass, but everything else doesn't match because it doesn't have texture. The overall piece needs more contrast, hell, it needs more of a feel to it, needs to have a blue tint so it feels more like night, how is this a zombie town? Where's the blood? The zombies? A zombie town would be destroyed...

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:06:55 am
I may not do much greater shading, but there will be additional shadows that aren't in this image. Shadows are going to be done is a separate layer by applying 30% translucent solid black shapes. There's some shadowing built into the tileset (like the rooftop ledge) but for the most part, it'll be done separately. I have not tried this technique yet, so I don't know how well it will work. I'm hoping it will be something that will save considerably on time and extra tiles.

I agree that the roads look odd. If you'd care to elaborate, maybe that would help me figure out why they look odd.

Texture, contrast, and heavy shading are a stylistic choice I'm avoiding. I want to minimize such things as much as possible to get a more cartoony, Earthbound feel.

This is a daytime scene. For nighttime scenes, I'll apply a 20% navy blue overlay over the top of it. This project would feature the town at various levels of zombie infestation, so while there will be tiles for boarded up windows and barricades, I'm starting with the town before a zombie attack so that these other additional features may be built on top of it. I'm hoping for a one to one replacement deal, so that I can replace an open window with a boarded up window, or door with a barricaded door and so on. But that's for later. Nighttime will be accomplished with a 20% navy blue layer applied on top.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:20:42 am
the roads look odd because there is no texture. that can be fixed with some penciled in cracks and some dithering :D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:33:11 am
If this is daytime, brighten it up.
The top row of buildings are very thin.
I think the grass could be simplified. It's too noisy - too static-y right now.
Either that or add some small details to everything else: a few indications of bricks on the buildings, some grates or drains in the sidewalk, a manhole, you know small things to make it seem more...full - no, less empty. And, like Bengoshia said, some texture to the road and sidewalks.
But I still think the grass is too noisy.
The scale is strange: Either the doors are pretty huge, or the trashcan is tiny.
The white lines in the street are too bright.
What are those white/grey squares in the lower-right block?

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 02:13:51 pm
Made an edit:

Didn't change the grass, but that needs to be changed. Also, I only edited the white lines on the top left because I was feeling lazy.

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 06:16:27 pm
Made an edit:

Didn't change the grass, but that needs to be changed. Also, I only edited the white lines on the top left because I was feeling lazy.

I like the weathered look of the streets and the additions of cracks but, this is a zombie game so I don't think it should be so bright. (takes you out of the mood)

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:47:32 pm
Yes, but he did say this was the day-time scene.