AuthorTopic: Indie game dev project <- starting with the peoples  (Read 8445 times)

Offline selur

• View Profile

Re: Indie game dev project <- starting with the peoples

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:00:54 pm
Tocy your link is wrong, should be http://www.univie.ac.at/cga/art/Muybridge.jpg

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 01:38:33 pm
how is gauntlet grandaddy to fps? and what is rps? roll playing strategy? rocket propellered stuff? gauntlet only has very few similarities to an FPS. You kill things in it, it's a game, you move a character, you interact with the world.
there were plenty of games before gauntlet which had those things.

I'm so sorry. I meant to write Real Time Strategy, but I can take that one back. I won't take back that it's the Grandaddy of FPSs though. I didn't say it was the original FPS, I didn't even say it was the mother of FPS. If you can't see the similarities and the distinct features of Gauntlet and lets say Castle Wolfenstein then I can't argue with you anymore. The first First Person Shooters were nothing but 2D maps turned into 3D. Remember that you couldn't even walk under things in the original Doom because the whole map is flat. The gameplay, shooting hordes of enemies, maze type levels, finding an exit is also straight out of Doom.

To stay on topic I made this color edit of your walk/run Zolthorg. It should help you see how the individual parts of the character are moving.

Offline selur

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 03:46:32 pm
U mean that Doom is sequel of this http://www.mobygames.com/game/gauntlet/screenshots Gauntlet ? This is some kind of a joke ?  ???

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 04:54:04 pm
Doom is nothing's sequel. Wolfenstein 3d is mostly known as the 'Granddaddy of FPS', although there were games way before that.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 09:20:04 pm

It looks more like a run now but something still seems off.
thanks for the runcycle picture tocky and to all of you who mentioned the shoulder, which i changed slightly; though i think it needs more tweaking

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 09:35:37 pm
Doom is nothing's sequel.
Spiritual successor, built by the same company, in the same nebulous genre. Wolf3D was a FPS, it was the first successful one. Anyways, this 'genealogy of games' thing is a semantic argument, and so is kind of pointless. What criteria determine if this game is grandfather to that game, and so on? Anyway, if we're going to have it, I don't think we should be having it in Zolthorg's thread.

Anyway, I like your runcycle, Zol. It's got a sort of charm to it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:17:15 pm by tocky »

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 09:41:41 pm

It looks more like a run now but something still seems off.
thanks for the runcycle picture tocky and to all of you who mentioned the shoulder, which i changed slightly; though i think it needs more tweaking
Looks much better now. But I think if you got rid of his left hand in the one frame where it's to the left of his body, it would look smoother. Or maybe just move it in a couple pixels.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:46:37 am by Zero »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:59 pm
edit: oops. ignore this.