AuthorTopic: Demons [nudity and gore]  (Read 25094 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: [WIP] Demons [nudity and gore]

Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 07:28:27 pm
Thanks for all the kind words! :D

Fuck yeah, I'm so dating Arachne now, just to see her eating with her groin. Say Ary (can I call you ary?), do you like chinese or italian food?
I'll eat just about anything, really. :lol:

Here's how this one's coming along. I got rid of one of the greens and added some more red and yellow to the rest of the palette. Also changed the skull to look more like a human skull. I think I need to work on this a bit to get everything equally grainy or smooth. Using more colors for the face and fewer for the cranium and the shoulders is the opposite of what I ought to be doing. I think I'll add some more colors (:'() to make the skin colored parts less grainy.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 07:34:06 pm

Vagina Dentana Maxima!!! Just wanted to say I absolutely love this. And I agree that it DOES need the dither. Without it it would be way less grimey.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 08:12:00 pm

Here's how this one's coming along. I got rid of one of the greens and added some more red and yellow to the rest of the palette. Also changed the skull to look more like a human skull. I think I need to work on this a bit to get everything equally grainy or smooth. Using more colors for the face and fewer for the cranium and the shoulders is the opposite of what I ought to be doing. I think I'll add some more colors (:'() to make the skin colored parts less grainy.

I really think you did a better dithering job on this one than in your self-portrait ( ;D); this on has got so much texture, it's lovely. I really don't think you need any more colors, but rather some tweaks in your dithering for the shoulders and the green lighted sections.

Fuck yeah, I'm so dating Arachne now, just to see her eating with her groin. Say Ary (can I call you ary?), do you like chinese or italian food?
I'll eat just about anything, really. :lol:

Fantastic. So at which hour shall I pick you up and go to dinner at the Linger Lodge then?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 08:08:06 pm
Thanks, ptoing. :)

Fantastic. So at which hour shall I pick you up and go to dinner at the Linger Lodge then?
Ahaha, that's perfect! :D

OK, there it is. The green areas look a bit odd to me, but I think that might be because the transition between the green and purple is fairly sharp. I added some patches of gray on the cranium and the shoulders to make them look smoother, while still keeping the distinction between the face and the rest. Made it look kind of dirty, not sure if that's a bad thing.

Oh, here's an animated gif showing the progress of the angel in a bit more detail, if anyone finds that useful. :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Demons [nudity and gore]

Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 11:30:31 pm
Arachne, I am in love with the latest piece. I look hard at it to try to spot some sort of error or give you further ideas but I'm pretty stumped. Better than I could do, and worthy of study. Perhaps the only thing that comes to mind is that you should break up the dither patterns with some solid groups of color here and there (you do this, but a bit more) which isn't more realistic, but perhaps a useful rendering technique to call the eye of the viewer towards these places. I would put a small flat highlight on the skull for example, and such. Really nitpicking, I can't find any faults.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 16, 2007, 05:11:53 am
jaw droppingly beautiful dithering, not a single pixel misplaced imo. there does seem to be something kinda wierd going on with those few cracks on the skull at the top left, but i cant really put my finger on it and its realy not of too much concern anyway.
im jealous.

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:00 am
I agree with Helm, some un-dithered areas could really improve this. Especially on the skull, you'd expect a few areas to were smoothed down, and they'd certainly make it more interesting to the eye, i reckon.
Wonderful work on the err, lady, as well. I think the uniformly patterned look due to dithering works there, it serves to immitate the grimey overlays used on horror-film posters so often, i think. It's been good to see it progress, as well. Where i thought the woman started out as an anatomically incorrect blob, it works really well now, you really added definition where it was needed. I like the thickness of the stomach-skin, it immediately makes the entire piece more believable.
I'm going to try doing an overpaint of the skull. Depending on how that turns out, i might post it later!

edit:

Just to give you an idea, ofcourse. I also moved the shoulder some, see what you think about it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:16:46 pm by Mighty Pea »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #47 on: August 18, 2007, 11:11:31 pm
Thanks, guys! :D

How's this? Hadn't really paid much attention to the shoulders in the initial sketch since it was just a portrait I didn't intend to color, but it should look a bit more realistic now. :)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 11:20:18 pm
Looking nice.
Have a couple of crits though:
1. The transition from green to purple on the lower neck looks a bit messy.
2. The mouth pinsers look uneven in size.
3. The area around the right eye is shaped differently to that around the left.
4. I don't really understand what's going on inside the neck, but whatever is looks off centre.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 01:39:10 am

Looking nice.
Have a couple of crits though:
1. The transition from green to purple on the lower neck looks a bit messy.
2. The mouth pinsers look uneven in size.
3. The area around the right eye is shaped differently to that around the left.
4. I don't really understand what's going on inside the neck, but whatever is looks off centre.
1. Oops :D
2. They are. I thought making them uneven would make them look more like a deformity.
3. OK, I think it should look better now, unless I need to do something about the position of the eye as well.
4. It's the larynx. Not sure how much of human anatomy is still valid here, but since it's positioned in front of the esophagus, I thought that would make it off-center?