AuthorTopic: How would you start ?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Xenon02

• View Profile

How would you start ?

on: April 24, 2020, 05:11:16 pm
Hello !

I've been wondering if I should start drawing on piece of paper (because I wanted to more understand how should I draw). That thought came up from just watching some animations or playing video games.
Maybe my taste of art isn't high ... But I really admire some works like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell etc.

But the thing is where to start ... I saw some videos that I should just draw, practicing specific topic. So it didn't give me a lot, I was then thinking, maybe Gesture or Perception or anything. So I've ended up making figures (cubes, cylinders)

Now I wonder that even if I'll be able to draw some position of cube od cylinders, I still imagine how I can make from it for example hand ?

Offline shponglefan

• View Profile

Re: How would you start ?

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 12:50:44 am
I recommend two sources to start with, with different aims for each.

The first is the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. IMHO, it is one of the best resources I've found for learning to draw from life. It has a variety of exercises designed to teach various aspects of perception including edges, values, negative space, perspective and so on. As most things that we draw are abstracted from life, learning to draw from life is a useful skill.

The second is the Draw a Box web site (http://www.drawabox.com). This is geared towards drawing fundamental forms and being able to construct objects out of those forms. It's more technical in nature designed around using ink instead of pencils for drawing. The course is highly structured with specific lessons for each step.

These two sources can serve as useful starting points for learning to draw.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:56:38 am by shponglefan »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:24:18 am
Draw how you feel inside.

If it is scary to start then use the lines and colors to channel your emotions.

Others will disagree with me, but I think this is the best place to start.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline TPoe

• RoyalePoe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/20746.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:10 am
Literally put in the Cowboy Bebop DVD (netflix whatever) and press pause on a scene you like, and draw that. Don't trace it, just draw it as best you can. Then go find some other stuff you like, and do the same thing. Keep copying things you like until you get good at copying them. In the meantime keep a sketch book with you, when you're not copying, try to remember the copies, and draw them without reference, or remember the poses and put your own characters on there. Remember how they draw the faces and draw your own characters in that style. Being good at art is as much a brain game as it is a technical skills game. If you draw a lot your technical skills will improve, but if you're not referencing professionals work your work will never look professional.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 03:41:16 am
These are all perfect suggestions. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is a widely used resource, I used it myself in an art class. To draw what you feel and think is great because it helps you develop a tone and style, and can be a release. And, one that I wish I had thought of earlier, is to copy. I did this for a while too, copying expressions out of comics. I am not a good artist, but I do know how people begin and how they improve.

It sounds like those videos addressed the best and most important step. To begin drawing, one must draw. Draw draw draw. If you get the "I don't know what to draw" feeling, like all of us do, it's a mental block. Move through it. Your goal is to draw. Draw anything. Draw your cell phone. Draw the chair in front of you. Draw the shape of your dog's nose. Your hand. The tear in the knee of your jeans. All the art you have seen in video games, anime, movies, in museums and shops, they all came from an artist that put in the time to draw. They focused on their weaknesses and improved afterward, but they all started the same way- by starting.