AuthorTopic: Dragon sprite  (Read 2643 times)

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Dragon sprite

on: July 11, 2007, 04:14:03 am
well i just finished refining this dragon sprite and tried to animate it...but i couldnt animate it correctly :blind: so im just posting it as is for now.
i might take another wack at animated it but not right now :P
c&c is welcome :)
just dont flame me if you dont like it please.

12 colors including transparency.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Dragon sprite

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:31:30 am
People don't flame here. Only knobs -I mean- noobs do. Well, thats what I tell myself, anyway. The shading is too flat, the wing should be for the most part in shadow, and casting shadow onto the front leg and such. The more I look, the more I see there isn't really a clear lightsource at all. Define the lightsource and shade.

I quite like the colours and texture, though. Dunno about the red eye, perhaps try a bright yellow-orange.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:44 am
hmmm
for some reason everyone always says my lightsource is all over the place...i cant seem to see it. as for the flatness...hmm....maybe more contrast? and yeah the eye was there before i finished and i just forgot it :P
thanks for the crit ^_^

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:30 am

second is just substitution, trying to separate hilights, shadows, and midtones
third is my estimate of your current lighting situation, without the scales.
fourth is how I'd try to set it up.

It seems like you're using more colours than you need, and your colours aren't contrasty enough, in any case. Try to pick a distinct hilight, midtone and shadow colour for each differently-coloured bit of the dragon, then stick to those. The blue colour you're using for hilights on your greens is a bit far off from the green. Besides, why is the light making the greens cooler? Usually, your shadows are cooler and bluer, and your hilights are warmer than your base colour. It depends on the colour of the light.

Mostly the trouble with your shading is that you aren't using as much shadow as you should. I lost some shadow in the substitution, but there's not enough there in any case. Oh, and your wings are too flat. They ought to stick out more.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:20:21 am by tocky »