AuthorTopic: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 3/11*  (Read 70988 times)

Offline Kfuchoin

• View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007 *Updated*

Reply #100 on: December 16, 2007, 08:14:26 pm
Hello Dopple,
Great Job so far.
I'm late but i have to say that the perspective of the palace exterior worries me :/ you made the part next to the water, the one with the dragon look lke the floor of the palace. (in my opinion)

Right now on this cave for adding more variety whyn ot adding pieces of diferent crystals to the wall? (rubies, diamonds,etc) so you can keep the same repited tile of the stones but you can distract the person opinion of "copy paste" but adding the diamonds :)
Great job again. :y:

Offline Greenwing

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:22 pm
The cave scene reminded me of shinobi for gamegear enough to get some screenshots

not that cave scenes like this are rare in ninja games.
put some logs in the water!

good job.
I really enjoy yellow.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #102 on: February 22, 2008, 04:19:04 am

Topic's not dead yet!

This is the latest mock for the volcano stage. While the foreground is going to tile indefinitely the background area is going to be expanded into a 900x600 area that tiles vertically and horizontally. The previously posted cave bg, I believe, will be getting a makeover some odd time down the line. I'm doing the volcano bg in a less tiley way because the vertical and horizontal scrolling really kills my options for the bgs. As you can see I borrowed the old cave foreground and modified it to save time. It's not the most awesome practice but I think that it worked out really well in this scenario.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Sidecrollin' excessively tiled fun fest 2007-2008 *Updated 2/21*

Reply #103 on: February 22, 2008, 06:07:47 am
Quick pallete edit. While I know your previous pieces have softer colors and you should try to match that, it currently doesn't read as being hot to me.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #104 on: February 22, 2008, 08:07:14 am
Thanks for that edit sharpm. I like how the ground has taken on a scorched look with it. Some of the background looks colorized with a cga palette, which doesn't work for me, but there's a lot I can take from it. I agree that my version looks a little too cool for the interior of a volcano and so, I'll be addressing that.

I probably won't be getting to that point until I finish up the background of the background though. It's pretty massive and I'd like to layout all the colors for that before I go fine tuning everything.

And the lesson for the day, don't shape rocks by lava- shape lava with the rocks. The result is a far more natural look.

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #105 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:49 pm
This new version looks rather non-pixelled in the BG. Though probably you'll fix that anyways. Awesome stuff.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #106 on: February 22, 2008, 06:41:33 pm
The whole image looks jpegified, but looking wonderful Doppleganger nothing to say.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #107 on: February 22, 2008, 08:46:39 pm
Is it true that this latest tile is a CG drawing and not pixeled?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #108 on: February 22, 2008, 08:58:52 pm
wow....that is just beautiful beautiful stuff. too bad I didnt get in early enough to critique on the mansion tiles, I really think the watery part could be improved in there which is a shame since everything else looks so absolutely fantastic

That cave is gonna stick like a big sore thumg tho, specially since the volcano stage has it's foreground, it's gonna look like the uglier shabbier little brother. You should've done a big vacum background, I would go as far as leaving half of the background just pitch black, and then have some stalactites fade in at the top....and botton, but making sure to keep a big pitch black hole in the middle that tells you anything could come out of nowhere and gnaw at your head.

I dont know wether it's that your stuff looks so good one doesnt CARE that it's tiled, or that it really does hide tiling. I think it's admirable how many textures and diferent types of palletes you pull of, this topic is all the more awesome because of the sparse tiled content we get around here... :y: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:04:50 pm by Conceit »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #109 on: February 22, 2008, 10:16:22 pm
Thanks Conceit! There is a slight possibility that I'll be coming back to the palace exterior tiles. Once I finish the backgrounds I plan on spending whatever time I have left towards cleaning up some of the older backgrounds. Much has changed since I've started this project and I can find room to improve on every background. The cave, for sure, will be getting a facelift. It already doesn't look it does in this topic, but it's still a ways away and not worth critiquing at this point.

I zoomed in on the volcano bg and noticed that there seems to be a situation with the pixels. The unfinished bg area is actually only 4 colors and so I'm left wondering why a png has corrupted my image. I'll make sure that my next update is not funked up in any way.