AuthorTopic: [WIP] armour! stuck..  (Read 4537 times)

Offline and2

• View Profile

[WIP] armour! stuck..

on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:14 pm
hey!
this is an old peice im reworking on, dont know if iv posted before.

Im having quite alot of trouble with the look.

Thanks to born2die for some previous help.  ;)

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Re: [WIP] armour! stuck..

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:33 pm
i like your shading, truely realistic...
where do you put the right arm?

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:05:21 pm
yeah, the shading is really nice, but these black outlines, especially on shoulders ruin everything
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline and2

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:49:41 pm
update?
I dont know.  ???

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:23:41 pm
5 minut edit, this is what i meant about the outlines. i still think that i made them too black.
look at his belly, and see the line which is too dark, that kind of thing stands out, and need to be made lighter, the same goes for your outlines, just notice, and think about them. read some tutorials about selective outlines(selout)

i got carried away... its 1:22 here in Poland... i have to go to sleep or else i will turn into a zombie at 8:00... :hehe:

additional tips:

-fix the rest of the outlines as i shown you on the example of his left shoulder

-make the down part of the axe more shaded or toned down. simulating shading

-i dont know what are these things on his right shoulder but change them... if they are spikes, go with darker shades at the base of these spikes

-you have awesome shading skills, make good use of them when making this piece, also, think about the pose, as for now, i think it will turn out kind of dull, he's too "blocky", not interesting at all, that's what i can say from the current state of this image.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:32:14 pm by piotrek255 »
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 12:29:12 am
This looks more like metal plated man rather then Armor. Since its metal, I don't think the muscles would be proponent at all, only its basic shapes. If you wanna make em less plain, then add designs. OR it would be that you made it like that purposely for some reason...in that case, the torso is a bit off, you skipped out on a lot of the major Muscles, and the biceps are way to low, throwing off the entire arm. The second half of the arm is also messed up.
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 04:28:59 am

in this sketch (not at all pixelart, dont use the "techniques" here ^^), i've attempted to show a few things:

colors for the metal that suggest he is in a place, rather than a static hue (colors for face, ax, and trousers are placeholders, nothing more)
design - add a sense of style to the armor and a more natural pose with real proportions.  Also, the armor now has gold trim, to provide tasteful definition, and the rest of the piece is mostly warm of color too, for balance (this neutral background becoming a cold color with the blue).

think hard on something like this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 04:44:37 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 07:19:44 am
Another important thing that hasn't been touched on is functionality. Aside from the pauldrons, there is absolutely no visible way for whoever's stuck inside the armor to actually move. Plate armor is jointed, hinged, layer, etc, whereas your current armor is effectively solid pieces of molded metal.

Also, touching on Chaos' post, another major reason I'd think of it more like a painted guy instead of an armored one is that the guy would have to be positively tiny to fit inside that thing, especially the torso piece. Which also brings up another point: I used "painted" instead of "metal plated", because the lighting doesn't say metal. The spec isn't tight enough, the uniform blue/green just looks odd.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 03:41:50 pm

this is a good ref because it shows reasonably designed armor in a very natural if boring set of poses.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline and2

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:01:40 pm
Wow Adarias.
Thank you so much, I will post an update as soon as i can, i accedently stuffed my computer up so i cant do much atm.
Thanks so much for your time. Very appreciated. What an amazing edit.

Chaos, Thanks also, i didnt even relise. hehe, now looking back on the peice it is kind of a silly thing to miss, kinda made it look like a metal trophy/statue or something.

Thanks again to everyone, Ill update ASAP. just waiting for my computer to get fixed  :'(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:03:35 pm by and2 »