AuthorTopic: Forest life [WIP]  (Read 3659 times)

Offline nizzate

• View Profile

Forest life [WIP]

on: July 17, 2007, 07:29:32 pm
these are some pieces im working on for my new game. Im going to try to get lots of different plants so that the forest seems alive and overgrown almost.  I need some c+c on this.  Thanks

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Re: Forest life [WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:37:36 pm
The ferns are decent, but they're a little flat. Highlights would help a lot there. The tree looks really flat. Also, the trunk is much too thick. Here's a ref pic to show you how thick it should be: http://members.chello.at/fairy-tales/oaktree.jpg

Offline Kindred

• Anok
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:28 am
The tree's shape needs a bit more thought. Think about the general shape of how you want the tree, and how the light will hit it. Here's something to help, although it's not beautiful or complex (like trees) I think it'll serve it's purpose for exaggerated visualization.

Think about fractals and gravity when you're doing the fringe, it looks like someone took hedge cutters to it and sculpted it.

I like the leaves on the tree, it'll look a lot better once you define it's shape. The ferns are coming out good, they just need some highlights and maybe a bit more contrast.

Offline nizzate

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:37:06 pm
i tried adding some shadows and i think its getting more depth. I dont want to spend too much time on this since it is just one tree and i have more important parts in the game to create art for.  Do you think the shadows are good or should I add more/ different shadows? Thanks for the help.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:29:21 am
Try to give the overall tree more volume with your shading insteand on focusing on the individual leafes/texture too much. I think it still looks pretty flat.
Also your pixelplacement seems very random, I would start much smaller if I were you. That would let you work faster and much more precisely.