AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42857 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #50 on: August 16, 2007, 05:16:48 pm
Hey guys,  does anyone know how to do a sky without lines showing up?  I tried a dithering effect but it didn't work as well as I would have liked.  Thanks again for all your input!

Jack

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #51 on: August 16, 2007, 05:37:43 pm
http://www.spielbergfilms.com/savingmedia.html

Take a look at how they handled skies here. Also note how the further away objects are, the more they blend into the color of the sky. Also note the contrast. On foreground objects the darkest color is near black. Further away it's a light gray.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: August 17, 2007, 05:50:43 pm
k,  I hope that this is somewhat what you were talking about.  I tried to tone down colors, etc.  I feel that it conveys a war-torn town a whole lot better.  Hope you like it, and yes it still isn't done!

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: August 18, 2007, 02:59:40 am
I think you should remove the brown shack, 2 dead trees and telephone poles. I think they take focus away from the tank and soldier. It would be a good idea if you hid an American soldier in the piece to add interest. The two poses of the soldiers contradict each other. The guy in the tank is ordering to go forward but the other guy seems to be asking them to stop - ie he sees something. Put the guy in the tanks arm somewhere else. Maybe add one of the german jets flying left in the background to add interest.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 18, 2007, 05:00:20 am
Hello welcome to the forum i am also new and i also have a passion for WWII but i can see your more passionate for it then me.

A couple things on that picture down there the guy in the tank holds his gun strangely ( o dammit i forgot the rest  :yell: i have a bad memory ) well they were very minor things that i wouldn't worry about so its okay. And better tell me when this game comes out cause it looks good.  ;)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 06:24:12 am
Blue cheer you DO know nowhere is stated that its a game and not an artwork and you DO know that you help us more while reading the last post than the first one eh?

Now back on topic, it does add a fog of war idea to the scene, but I'd like to see some more outstanding objects on that foreground, these men and their tank should have a little more contrast. Also, regarding sharprm´s post, all I think is that you could make one of the telephone polesdestroyed and further remove just the brown shack,

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 07:19:59 am
To be honest, I'm not liking the blue overlay all that much, it feels like he added a new layer that was blue and set the opacity of it to 30% or whatever in Photoshop. I think what you need to work on the important stuff, like adding depth to everything. Jack, I think with your colors you're just thinking that(Mighty Pea stated something similar earlier, well, basically the same thing), a dark red brick is a dark red brick and that skin is yellow, etc. Jack, what you need to do is think uh, hm, yeah you gotta work on it, you might wanna study up on the color theory(Google is your friend). That and you just gotta understand that colors aren't solid, they're flexible(Well, like, yeah, hopefully that made sense), a brown tree isn't a straight brown and as it gets darker/lighter the hue and saturation will change aswell.

I'm just not feeling the scene, like said before, I don't like the whole blue overlay and I don't think its helping too much. What you need to understand is, not everything is gonna....... just all be super blue, if you wanna get a scene that would be considered night, well thats just a simple palette change, which I think you should change the palette instead of doing an overlay.
Examples:
Day:

Night:

And so on..... Just depending on the object will depend on how severe of a color change it is, like something grayer would probably be alot bluer during the night, etc. I still think you don't have enough room for all those ranks and stuff, I'd rather you use that space for shading, instead of a rank sticker/button.

Hopefully this helped a little bit. :watev:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:37:42 am by bengoshia »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007, 12:40:19 pm
Thats alright man, I appreciate your tips.  The bluish color is to get a hazy, smoke like atmosphere that I for one think works.  I do plan on working more on the piece.  Ciao!

Jack

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #58 on: August 18, 2007, 01:36:27 pm

Night:

Sorry to say I'm posting to contradict an edit, but I'd have to say you should be careful with all these plastic shines. We're dealing with war-torn uniforms and stuff, grays, earthly hues and such should probably be used to retain the ambience of war, not super-brights and video-game plastics you seem to be using in the majority of your edits, bengoshia. Try to keep an active mind when you're editing somebody else, with respect to what they're supposed to be doing.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: August 18, 2007, 03:48:40 pm
Ok, I feel really bad in bursting some folk's bubble of what this project is.  The truth is... that its a picture.  Unfortunately there is no game.  It would be fun to do one but time is tight these days.  I did work on one awhile back that didnt work out.  It was to be a top down WWII tank game.  The title was Dawn of the Tiger.  I still have the units, etc but they are not up to snuff.  Anyhow, sorry for the news.  I just like drawing stuff like what Im doing.  Kinda like a snapshot in time.  Take care and I will update shortly.  Ciao!

Jack