AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280849 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #670 on: August 30, 2007, 03:50:31 am
I just don't see the point in trying to conclude that your life is pre-determined and that you can't do anything to change it. How can you ever know if it was 'pre-determined'? How can you say that you would have never made the opposite decision, and if you did, how would you know if that was actually your destiny and making the other decision was not?
After it's all said and done, destiny just seems to be a synonym for life, because all you're doing is describing your 'life' while tacking on the notion of it being written out, yet with no actual way of knowing it was.
I'd much prefer to think that I make my decisions and that if anything extraordinary happens, or something that makes me think, "why did it happen this way?", that it was a miracle, unexplainable, or that it was just how life is.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #671 on: August 30, 2007, 08:16:46 am
Its one of those things you can't prove or disprove, so you just pick one. The better view is that life is full of random things, things beyond you're control, and things you can affect. Believing everything is out of your control is a way to ignore your responcibilty to make good decisions. Its like that myth you hear sometimes on TV news in Australia, that "if you're rich, you'll be unhappy" - a lie to make people feel better about their shitty lives.

Interestingly, when I was overseas, the newspaper in China reported that, generally, the richer people are, the more satisfied people are with their lives. Its different cultures that result in (generally) migrant's children doing much more study and doing extremely very well in highschool and getting to do the courses for jobs with high salaries.

I wish that teachers in Western countries (that are mostly stupid in my experience) wouldn't tell everyone, "you're super, it doesn't matter who you're parents are, everyone can become the next albert einstein, rohl dahl" etc (without telling us that it takes alot of hard work/luck etc.) I think thats why Feron thinks he could smoke pot, take things easy and still be remembered for generations to come. Its not an attack or anything, I'm just trying to use an example of people having (unrealistically?) high expectations about what they can achieve.

I guess you could smoke alot of pot and get in the guiness book of records and be remembered that way. There would be alot of competition though.

My primary school teacher was so stupid. He said to us once, "we're all making history right now", so we should be happy. Like he'd just realised that the future turned into the past. Fuck. I tried saying theres a difference between what happened in the past and significant events that get into history books, but as usual, stupid hippy teachers don't listen.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:28:25 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #672 on: August 30, 2007, 08:34:19 am
well if you were a crack whore, you would be providing a service satisfying people.  You would also be hlping the crack economy which helps people make a living and not stinge of the governemt and thus taxes.  so yeah they would make the world a better palce by you paying less tax and getting sucked off for a fair price...

i wanna do something with my life that people will remember me by, at least for a couple of generations or something...

Well, you could become a terrorist. That way you'd help out your fellow terrorists, dedicate your life to make the world a better place according to your beliefs and your leader, by destroying everything that doesn't agree with you.

Yeah, by being a crack whore (I like that expression!) you'd provide a service that goes against everything else we've built up in today's society. You'd also be messing up many other people's lives. You might end up a criminal, picking pockets, robbing people, destroying life for those around you EXCEPT for the lucky dude who makes a fortune getting people addicted on drugs, then selling them for higher and higher prices. The most important part of life is friends, or people who are close to you in general, the ones who are affected by your presence. If you're a crack whore, you may still have friends, but they'd all sit around wishing you hadn't gone that way, wishing you could stop being a criminal junkie with no free will and go back to being an actual friend. You'd pollute the lives of people who knew you. It would definitely not be a better place for them.

I, too, want to be remembered. Maybe not for several generations, but when I die I want to leave some kind of impression. If I get into the video games industry I could do that. Even if I was just one of many artists in a team and no one would see my name, I'd know people would enjoy something I'd made and remember it for years to come. I also try my best to help people who seem to need help. So far, that's pretty much only happened online, but damn is the Internet an angsty place or what? I think I've already prevented one or two suicide attempts. I feel pretty good about that.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #673 on: August 30, 2007, 12:03:01 pm
i love all this hypothetical talk of drugged up crimnials or terrorists.

hell if you want to believe your life isnt predetermined Xion, go for it.  Its just my beliefs and theres nothing you could do to prove an argument for or against it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #674 on: August 30, 2007, 12:20:42 pm
From one point and onward you're just saying things for the sake of it. You have no realistic concept of what a 'crack whore' is, it's just your cool example to talk about. You have probably, very little to no exposure to how absolutely freakin' terrible life can be, so from your vantage point 'whatever will come will come'. Sure, because the range of things to come in your mind is very limited. Life can go really south, and once that happens I'd really like you to come back to this forum and tell us that your dying and miserable, but you'll let that run its course because the destiny is written in the stars.

It's pretty rude to theoretically talk about eventuality in such a way that robs real human drama of its impact, like "yeah, crack whore, I'll be part of a system that makes people happy!" and it just paints you as inconsiderate and inexperienced in life. A 17 year old that smokes pot and gets drunk at parties.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #675 on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:01 pm
It's pretty rude to theoretically talk about eventuality in such a way that robs real human drama of its impact, like "yeah, crack whore, I'll be part of a system that makes people happy!" and it just paints you as inconsiderate and inexperienced in life. A 17 year old that smokes pot and gets drunk at parties.

"Oh noes! I sense some oncoming hostility, with a helping of passive aggressive behavior. Better lighten the mood with some ole time tap dancing, and some Charlie Chaplin-like antics (I think we need a wiggly mustache smiley...). Quick! Play me a quick jingle Tommy, ma' boy!"

Seriously, though, this whole pre-determined/determined destiny argument is an argument that no one is going to win. I feel it best that it should be dropped before black eyes, and purple nurples ensue. On a lighter note, I'm gettin' my internet connection at my new residence. That means no more web surfing while I'm work! "YYEEEAAAAAHHHHH, BOOOOYYYY!!!"
my back hurts...

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #676 on: August 30, 2007, 01:15:29 pm
offtopic off of your offtopic: will this memory module http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X72C3A/1G work in this motherboard: http://www.pchardware.ro/Reviews/review.php?id=177? thanks in advance

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #677 on: August 30, 2007, 02:47:48 pm
From one point and onward you're just saying things for the sake of it. You have no realistic concept of what a 'crack whore' is, it's just your cool example to talk about.
you're right that exactly what is was, AN EXAMPLE!

You have probably, very little to no exposure to how absolutely freakin' terrible life can be, so from your vantage point 'whatever will come will come'. Sure, because the range of things to come in your mind is very limited. Life can go really south, and once that happens I'd really like you to come back to this forum and tell us that your dying and miserable, but you'll let that run its course because the destiny is written in the stars.
You want me to be dying?  well thats a nice thought.  no i dont really have much "life experience" but yes i do believe wateva will come will come.  that just what i believe, and i don't see why you can't just accept that mine and you beliefs are different.

Rude, wtf, this whole conversation was hypothetical.  i havent robbed anyone of anything.  Whats wrong with talking theoretically, theory is what has driven the progession of science and therefore mankind.  Yeah you can generalise me as a teenager who does that shit, but to be honest you don't really the other half me, the interlectual half of me, the half that has dreams of getting a PhD in maths.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #678 on: August 30, 2007, 02:50:49 pm
From one point and onward you're just saying things for the sake of it. You have no realistic concept of what a 'crack whore' is, it's just your cool example to talk about.
you're right that exactly what is was, AN EXAMPLE![/quote]

I think it was an inconsiderate example.

[/quote]You want me to be dying?[/quote]

No.

well thats a nice thought.  no i dont really have much "life experience" but yes i do believe wateva will come will come.  that just what i believe, and i don't see why you can't just accept that mine and you beliefs are different.

Alright. Wateva will come will come.

[/quote]Rude, wtf, this whole conversation was hypothetical.  i havent robbed anyone of anything.  Whats wrong with talking theoretically, theory is what has driven the progession of science and therefore mankind.  Yeah you can generalise me as a teenager who does that shit, but to be honest you don't really the other half me, the interlectual half of me, the half that has dreams of getting a PhD in maths.[/quote]

You should keep in mind that the side of you that has dreams above 'wateva will come will come' should be more careful with substance abuse.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #679 on: August 30, 2007, 03:41:06 pm
On a note related to drug use:

Sometime earlier this week, for the second time in my life, a derivative of opiates has laid to rest a friend. Fortunately this friend was more of a rarely seen acquaintance than a friend. The first instance, however, was a very close friend. This death toll doesn't count the numerous people I've known who have, more or less, rendered their lives useless because of their addiction to opiates. We are of course talking about predominantly heroin and oxycontin here.

There is a lot of uninformed talk about drugs going on here so I thought I would bring to light my own thoughts on it. As a person who has both experienced and witnessed the effects drugs can and can't have on an individual.

All drugs are inherently bad, just as anything that reprograms your body to act in an unnatural way would be bad. That's not to say they can't have a positive effect on a person. It all depends on what is being used, how it's being used, and how often it's being used.

Marijuana, for example, is one of the most harmless and potentially beneficial drugs. I happen to know a person, who is bi-polar and smokes to maintain a balance within themself. I was/am very close to this person and have seen them try counseling, prescripted medication, and many other methods to keep a level head and using marijuana as treatment proved to be far superior to the afore-mentioned. This person is extremely is insightful and knowledgeable of themself and could learn nothing from counseling that they didn't already know. Prescription medication just robbed them of all personality and turned them into a zombie. Interestingly enough, there are those who believe that smoking marijuana will turn you into a couch dwelling, video game playing, junkie. I believe that to be a serious misconception derived from what you were taught to believe. That's not to say people like that don't exist but, it might have more to do with their own personality and wants/needs than it does with marijuana.

Ecstasy, acid, and mushrooms fall into a more volatile category, although, they are not without their merits. These drugs have been portrayed in an extremely negative light, one of which I tend to disagree on. I do, however, believe that habitual or wreckless use of these substances is indeed a very bad thing. For those who think that ecstasy will turn you into some sex-craved fiend, or those who think that hallucinogens will have you fending off purple dinosaurs with a kitchen knife; let me tell you that is very far from the truth. As usual, there are exceptions but, it's those who wrecklessly or ignorantly do drugs for all the wrong reasons. To get to my point; these drugs have the ability to bring somebody to a different level of consciousness or perception and good things can come of it. I have seen ecstasy completely erase 16 years of self-esteem issues from a person in one night. Quite literally, this person was a brand new individual the next day and still to this day many years later. I've come to similar realizations and gained a broader, more intellectual view of the world from hallucinogens. I have also seen people become incredibly dependent on ecstasy, assumedly, for the purpose of being able to interact socially. A dependence on hallucinogens is much rarer.

Then there are those drugs which are just downright awful. Meth, cocaine, heroin, crack, all fall into this category. I've seen nothing come from these drugs besides death and death sentences. The idea that a party with marijuana is full of "easy" girls who will do anything for a smoke most likely refers to drugs such as these and not marijuana. These drugs are all highly addictive and depreciate the body both physically and mentally at a much higher rate than any of the other drugs out there. There's not much to expand on here, it's just the way it is.

I've never been fond of peoples ignorance to drugs so I thought I would bring to light what I've seen in the past decade of my life. I no longer choose to do drugs for recreational purposes, short of smoking marijuana, because I've gotten all that I can out of them. I wasn't always intelligent about using drugs and can look back at my life when I used them in a wreckless manner and can see why they are labeled as such bad things. Even if I could, I would never take those experiences back because I am a better person for them.