AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281435 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #770 on: September 07, 2007, 12:37:23 am
that does look interesting, i'll have to stop by the video store some time....
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #771 on: September 07, 2007, 12:40:58 am
Cowboy Bebop is very good yes. It's stylish but it has substance too.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #772 on: September 07, 2007, 12:45:54 am
Yeah, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and FLCL all the way. Favorite episode of Cowboy Bebop is probably the one where Spike finds that spoiled crab in the fridge at the end.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #773 on: September 07, 2007, 01:06:49 am
Ha, I did see that episode and thought it was pretty funny. I never really got into Cowboy bebop that much.
I did like FMA, for its story and as a anime, I personally thought it had great production value. It was also mildly short compared to other anime's so I didn't have to dedicate years of my life to watching it(on cable).
And I could have sworn I posted just before...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #774 on: September 07, 2007, 02:05:31 am
in a totally off-topic post, i love trees, even manhattan trees :

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #775 on: September 07, 2007, 02:09:32 am
Okay, being serious, this reminds me of the family guy episode where the new yorkers come to town and Lois learns to fight.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #776 on: September 07, 2007, 02:15:12 am
Samurai Champloo is a bit of a rollercoaster.
Varies in quality quite a lot. Loved the fight scene in the rain with the blind girl.
Dunno why they changed the style so drastically for it though... it looked much nicer before.

The Cowboy Bebop series is a bit lacking at times as well, but there are a few gems in there.
Last couple of episodes were brilliant, as was the 1st and 3rd (I think), but there were a lot of unecessary episodes that featured ridiculous plots too.

The animation in Mezzo Forte is quite nice too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8wum1C5b9w
It's completely over the top though; much like a kung-fu movie. Might be a turn off, might not.
They also made a series entitled Mezzo that features the same characters, and has pretty nice animation up until the midway point at which it went down the toilet for reasons unknown to me.

I believe Kite is similarly well animated (made by the same guy) but has a better plot. Haven't seen it though, so can't verify.

Miyazaki's movies are always fun, although I think his plots are becoming too abstract.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #777 on: September 07, 2007, 02:39:41 am
mezzo forte - hurray for picking random words for titles! (although the anime MIGHT have something to do with being slightly loud...i doubt it)

The animation does look good though :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #778 on: September 07, 2007, 04:41:56 am
DBZ anime suffered from fillers and trying to prolong the show by making their power ups or even a simple reaction takes forever. Unlike the manga, it was quite fast phased.

The opinions about anime is right on the spot, and I'm quite grateful that this board gave me a direction to pursue realistic drawings, human anatomy/figures, gestures, and build up my basics to strengthen my knowledge.  My question now is, when is the appropriate time to apply manga/anime art style? For example, If you create a japanese style rpg sprite that is cute and deformed like Adarias current project, would it really match realistic human portraits to represent your characters? How would you guys approach it if given a chance to work on it?

And holy crap, what in the hell is that character design posted by Takam? That's just wrong   

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #779 on: September 07, 2007, 06:34:16 am
Hmm, away from the whole anime chatter...
My memory of old pixelation is quite vague... but there's always been a question I've had about it. Everyone knows the whole dancing banana thing(Peanut butter jelly time!), and I remember a long, long time ago someone posted(or had it as their avatar, I can't remember), the pixelated dancing banana animation. Any of the old people remember if it started(drawn) by a pixelation member, or just some people spreading an already famous fad?