AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281291 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #400 on: July 12, 2007, 05:18:58 pm
I'm fine with Mario having a voice.
He already has the same voice in everybody's mind, so why not?

Link absolutely shouldn't have a voice, but I want everyone else to be voiced in future games.
I just hope they pick good voices for Ganondorf and Zelda if they do go down that route.

Edit:
Some nice videos of MP3 and SMG in action:
Metroid:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21690.html
Galaxy:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21649.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:31:09 pm by Faceless »

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #401 on: July 12, 2007, 06:31:36 pm
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the 3D metroids too much? I played the first one when it came out and I just found it boring. I had much more fun with Super Metroid and Zero Mission.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #402 on: July 12, 2007, 06:40:56 pm
Yeah, the 3D ones aren't fun really, only thing I care about right now is Brawl.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #403 on: July 12, 2007, 07:10:15 pm
Metroid Prime isn't fun? What? I bought my GameCube for Metrioid Prime, and I kept it for F-Zero GX. Those are the only two GC games I have that I consider worth buying!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #404 on: July 12, 2007, 07:24:05 pm
Windwaker, Eternal Darkness, Paper Mario 2, Ikaruga (NOT THE PAL ONE!!!), RE4, Viewtiful Joe (yeh I know those are on other stuff as well)

AND best game on the cube and best one in the series Mr. Driller Drill Land!!!! Only Japanese tho. It rocks hard and is worth getting a modded US or Jap cube just for that if you love Mr. Driller (It's one of the games which fucks your memcard if you try to save)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #405 on: July 12, 2007, 07:28:10 pm
I have a ton of games that I loved playing on the 'Cube, though the ones that kept me playing are the multiplayer ones. Mario Kart, SSB:M, Timesplitters 2(gonna get 3 soon, Ninja/zombie/robot monkey's!!!).
And wtf is up with the "your session has timed out, please try to post again" crap I keep getting when I try to post :/

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #406 on: July 12, 2007, 07:48:33 pm
just got back from a road trip to birmingham, feeling kinda ill from vast ammounts of beer and cigarrettes, and now i've got about 100 threads to catch up on.

:y:

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #407 on: July 12, 2007, 09:41:18 pm
I hope not. Look at what voice acting did to sonic!
I don't think voice acting is the root of sonics problems...

voice acting in Metroid? fine by me.
I know welcoming something like voice acting just makes me not look like a "true metroid head" etc... God I get sick of fans like that..: "Fusion and the prime series are NOT metroid games as far as I'm concerned, and if you like them, youre not a metroid fan"
guh, according to these true fans there are only like 3 Metroid games.
Back to the voice acting, I'm glad it's there, I think the series has reached the point where Samus should be walking around the GF ship, and all the small time soldiers are just in awe as she walks past.
there wasn't any voice acting in the first two Primes, but there was a voice delivering the epilogue ("samus aran, elite bounty hunter etc").
And in echoes, they probably should've put in voice acting, there wasn't much dialog so it wouldn't've been too hard.. I get the feeling that game got rushed in a few aspects though..
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #408 on: July 12, 2007, 09:46:23 pm
I'm fine with Mario having a voice.
He already has the same voice in everybody's mind, so why not?

Link absolutely shouldn't have a voice, but I want everyone else to be voiced in future games.
I just hope they pick good voices for Ganondorf and Zelda if they do go down that route.
I hated Bowser's voice in Sunshine. He reminded me of that dog Spike from those cartoons. Bowser should not talk. Peach's voice is perfect, as well as everyone else, but I cannot imagine anyone making a good Bowser.

Ganondorf is my favorite videogame villain, though, and I'd love to hear one of his monologues out loud.
And yeah, no, Link should never say anything more than "Hyaaaa!" or "guh".

The Metroid Primes were fun - actually they were ridiculously fun - but I never finished either of them due to the backtracking...okay, well Echoes was a rental, but Prime...I just got tired of going through those same areas a million times over.

But it sucks though, 'cause mah bro sold our whole collection of GC games (around 30) except for Gun, Smash Bros, and Zelda: TP, only one of which is any good to me (and I'll give you a hint: it ain't Zelda or Gun.)

The F-Zero story was impossible.

Welcome back, Feron.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #409 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:52 pm
see IMO voice acting should never even come up in a metroid conversation at all, unless its whether samus should have an internal monologue.  the whole reason the atmosphere works so well in metroid games is because of isolation; it is just you and your precious armor versus an entire planet of completely alien beings and a very hostile environment.  Your powerups and upgrades gain significance beyond just allowing you to explore this alien place more actively; that armor is the only thing standing between you and a whole planet of malice!

You can tell other metroid stories, sure, but they will not work as well, or be evocative of the emotions or feelings that people have come to love about the series so much.  As soon as live humans (voice acting or not) enter the picture, you lose that, and to me that is a very big loss.  Metroid Prime's atmosphere is way better than Echoes', largely because Echoes starts out with you surrounded by space police, and watching a cutscene of space police being attacked.  The attitude is all wrong, and it gives you too much to connect to.  Samus is supposed to be your one human anchor in the world, the only thing you can identify with; and by doing so you better inhabit her character - alone, The Hunter, contained in the suit (Prime's visor sells this idea sooo well!), and navigating a hostile world doing its best to snuff you out.  The constant and bizarre flora and fauna of Prime helps to accomplish this so well, versus the weird static webbing and crystal structures of Echoes.

To me, if you're not telling a story, or better letting people play a story, about an isolated warrior in a completely alien world, then you're not telling a metroid story, and you should probably call it something else, regardless of whether or not it has morph ball puzzles (the highlight of Echoes, far and away).