AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique - Shatterhand  (Read 58680 times)

Offline RushJet1

• View Profile

Re: Commercial Critique - Shatterhand

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 01:41:44 pm
The best "parallax scrolling" I've seen is in Battletoads. (Note: Battletoads is NOT MMC3 but...) One of the features MMC3 adds is a scanline counter. This allows different vertical portions of the screen to have different horizontal scroll values. (Split screen scrolling as described in Megaman 3 above) On the title screen of Shatterhand don't press start. Eventually you'll see an enemy shooting, and a guy will pan in from the right blocking the bullets with his arm. That's an example of this. It's not exactly as wonderful as parallax scrolling with different background layers though.

You might want to see Metal Storm then.  It has actual parallax, and sometimes even double parallax (level 3-2--go play the game if you want; it's a lot of fun).

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 05:05:28 pm
Metal Storm is just mimicking the look of parallax scrolling by cleverly using animated tiles if I am not mistaken. Games designers used to use these sort of tricks in the good old days. When your character moves the tiles animate. Simple but effective.

Jason.  

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 01:29:57 am
You might want to see Metal Storm then.  It has actual parallax, and sometimes even double parallax (level 3-2--go play the game if you want; it's a lot of fun).

Thanks for sharing! This is now the best parallax scrolling I've seen on NES! And it uses the same mapper setup as Shatterhand! AND it'd work with vertical scrolling! (and does in Metal Storm) My previous post was incorrect! Sorry.  :-[

QuickSilva is right. It's swapping out banks of graphics data to do this as the player moves. Exactly the same thing Shatterhand does to animate its backgrounds, except Shatterhand does it at fixed intervals instead of when the player moves. Really clever, Metal Storm devs!  :) Sorry for misleading people.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 02:56:10 am
It's not proper animation even, it is just shifting a part of the tileset and since it is a small part which tiles it wraps. This kinda stuff has been done in some games on the C64 as well, for example Mayhem in Monsterland.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline RushJet1

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 06:34:48 pm
more games that did parallax that appears to go behind objects (not just the scan line stuff that quite a few games did):

Mega Man 5

probably the most impressive, Mitsume ga Tooru

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 11:41:49 pm
probably the most impressive, Mitsume ga Tooru

Whoa, you linked to a certain spot in the video, how'd you do that!?

Offline Sly

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 02:59:35 am
You add "#t=02m57s" or whatever time you want at the end of the url. =D

No zombies here.

Offline meodai

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:49 am
use to love this game! It inspired me to do some coin animation once: