AuthorTopic: CC Challenge - Hands On!  (Read 58678 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: CC Challenge - Hands On!

Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32:54 pm
Actually no :) You have 183 8x8 tiles atm and that includes all the white stuff (without the barriers from Area A) without animation, so I guess perhaps you are at 200ish? Well within the limit. Looking really nice. I especially like the way you are doing the wooden X shape with just 2 tiles, very efficient.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline A.B. Lazer

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 12:48:50 am
Ah! Shatterhand * is an apogee of the NES platforming, cult classic that left more praised hits far behind. A game which has everything done right. I think that my PJ buddies Shiru** and Cast Out*** would say the same thing.
------
*Or rather Tokkyu Shirei Solbrain which was more common in Russia - but let's face it - controlling metal hero robot was a lot cooler than to play the games with a guy in shades (oh no!).
**Traces of Solbrain/Shatterhand can be seen in some of Shiru's works. Also he written a lot about the game on russian retrogaming forums.
***Cast Out lended me the cartridge in nineties and seldom seen it again.

The information that Solbrain came out second comes from the interview with Solbrain's composer Hiroyuki Iwatsuki*, which myself and Kommander conducted in 2005. Sadly this interview never saw release in russian as intended, only japanese version was published on Kommander's site here:
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hzk/kommander/natstaff.html
(You can see explanation of A.B. thing on the bottom of the page)
------
*One of two who worked on Solbrain - Iku Mizutani composed all tracks for Shatterhand, Hiroyuki Iwatsuki done all sound effects and composed music for those parts in Solbrain which differed from Shatterhand: intro and Amusement Park level.

Anyway, I played Solbrain/Shatterhand for the first time in 1996, and feel inspired by it ever since. Most obvious one is in the piece To The Stars:

I never thoroughly analysed the style of Solbrain, though. These two threads shurely will be a catalyst. Should visit Pixelation more frequently...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:08:54 am by A.B. Lazer »

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 05:29:40 pm
I'd like to ask - are we sticking to the 2x2 block palette rule? 
I laid out my mockup last night then realised I hadn't adhered to it and all my favourite parts had to be changed as a result.
It's no bad thing necessarily, as it actually means I'll dither into black much more and it'll hopefully look more consistent with the theme.

I thought I'd ask in case we didn't have to stick to it - and early enough to save people having to change theirs down the line..
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 02:46:02 am
These CC challenges aren't contests, they're challenges. You don't have to adhere to any rules. The more rules you follow, the more proud you can be of yourself, but harming artistic value of a piece over a rule you didn't notice would be silly.

The NES specs above are by no means the full rules you'd be following when developing a NES game. The engine and cartridge could require you to be stricter or relieve you from some of the limitations. On top of that, we don't know the full set of restrictions the actual Shatterhand engine imposed.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:22 am

I haven't pixelled in a while and rarely post, but I thought I'd give this a try.  I'm guessing I violated some restrictions without realizing so if anyone sees them, don't hesitate to point them out!
I also took some very small liberties with the hud and characters.

I love the city background, but why the 2 moons? Also, I'm pretty sure (at least on Earth) the moon can't be top-lit like that. Then again my knowledge of lunar cycles isn't exactly enviable.

Actually no :) You have 183 8x8 tiles atm and that includes all the white stuff (without the barriers from Area A) without animation, so I guess perhaps you are at 200ish? Well within the limit. Looking really nice. I especially like the way you are doing the wooden X shape with just 2 tiles, very efficient.

I was just so amazed by how few tiles the original game used that I was determined to get in the same ballpark, so to speak. And the 2 tiles X I totally stole from Vierbit  :lol:

I'd like to ask - are we sticking to the 2x2 block palette rule? 
I laid out my mockup last night then realised I hadn't adhered to it and all my favourite parts had to be changed as a result.
It's no bad thing necessarily, as it actually means I'll dither into black much more and it'll hopefully look more consistent with the theme.

I thought I'd ask in case we didn't have to stick to it - and early enough to save people having to change theirs down the line..

As Gil said, it's your call. I actually started mine with 16x16 tiles, but now I realise I really should have been working in 8x8 with the 2x2 restriction in mind from the beginning. Would have saved me a lot of reworking and lead to more efficient tiles.

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 10:08:14 am
Everyone's look so good, I wanted to try and make something near that quality but sticking to the same restrictions, I know it's not a competition or anything but it feels kinda like cheating otherwise and missing the point.

I have something, but I'm not a talented pixel artist and at the moment it lacks depth.  I thought that Shatterhand broke the 2x2 BG tiles palette rule but now I'm pretty sure it doesn't, so I've gone back in an effort to fix as it's a nice rule to adhere to.

The main thing I'm struggling with is not using too many tiles.  I have lots right now, but with help it can be slimmed down :D
I'll upload tonight when I get in, still excited about this!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:59:31 pm by L___E___T »
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 10:29:21 am

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 09:55:46 pm

Random Long range Smack down, No graphic effect of the Ground hit not shown yet.

This was just cause I wanted to see how they made him back in the days, one of my favourite games after all. :)

Might add more soon, as this was slightly fun.

This may break the 3colour + Transperancy though, hmm.
Remember, its not really 4 colours per sprite, its 3 colours + transparency. So black + white + green + flesh + trans = 5.
But doesn't the original sprite have all of those?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:03:26 am by VDX »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 02:54:31 pm
It is multiple sprites.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.