AuthorTopic: [WIP]From the dead... A Pixeldump of sorts...  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Rögnvaldr

• View Profile

[WIP]From the dead... A Pixeldump of sorts...

on: May 17, 2007, 08:29:19 pm
Hello Pixelation! Long time no see.
I'm not sure if anyone really remembers me (you wouldn't by name I used to go as Mandrag Ganon) but I used to be around before a bunch of site problems happen and I lost where Pixelation was homed but I managed to find it once more!

Lately I've been working on my Demo reel and I wanted to get some crits on a few of my older pixels to see if they might be worthy to put into it.

Silly RPG baddie
Old RPG sprite I made
My old avatar.
I was thinking of adding diagonal poses for this so it rotates smoothly

With-out clothing -- With clothing (I haven't finished the clothed version, I planned on making alot of different kinds of clothing. also ignore the pinkish junk haha.)
A monster idea for an MMO idea I had. He's supposed to have a loose jaw but i'm having some trouble pulling that off.
Mock-up for an action-MMO Idea I had. It was supposed to play like cave story abit but you could go back in 3d space like in double dragon and you used swords.

I haven't done much in the ways of pixel art for awhile because of school but I want to get back into it. Sorry this post kinda looks a bit messy but any help would be great guys :D I'm glad I managed to find this place again after so long.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:32:18 pm by Rögnvaldr »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]From the dead... A Pixeldump of sorts...

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:27:14 am
I hope Camus/Conceit doesn't mind, but he posted this edit 2-3 years ago and it still seems relevant today.

Saved it cause I thought it was a great edit to learn from.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 01:09:07 am
Without being too useless of a post, that guy's face looks like a jabberwocky!

Also, that edit looks like he's really straining his jaw. I think a better way to display a loose jaw is to keep constant movement in all directions throughout the entire animation. The tummy of the edit does a much better job of portraying a loose entity.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 01:20:37 am
The jaw would look looser if it moved backwards instead of forwards I think!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 11:47:19 am
if you want the jaw loose, stop animating it like a jaw, animate it as a hanging weight with horizontal pendulum motion, and line up the rise/fall of the jaw with the rise/fall of the skull.  right now it looks like it is closing conciously which isnt a problem for what it is, but it doesnt fit with what it seems like you are going for.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rögnvaldr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 05:50:13 pm
Well.. I've been having interesting problems with this. I'm realising its alot harder for me to make a hold without it looking frozen. Also im not sure how to do antics and overshoots, its different than with 3d software haha. So i think im gonna sketch out some plans on how it will play out and then ill have to redo most of it. I dunno i always though his jaw would kind of make a circle going out and down on his way down slightly delayed and then going in and up on his way up. I guess this is kind of like the pendulum motion you are talking about Adarias. I'm trying to keep it from looking like he closes it conciously, though i dont want it to be always hanging wide open. I tried moving it backwards and it turned out looking almost the same...

Thanks for posting that edit by the way XD I ended up losing it when the site messed up along time ago. Its helpful, itll help me figure out what im gonna do. Thanks alot for the comments guys, does anyone have anything to say about my other things or do they all seem ok?

I'll post what I get done on my Jabberwocky a bit later on today when i get it fixed up a bit better.

edit: i think my problem is im not sure what parts are going up and what parts are going down at the extreme frames. like when he gets to the bottom would everything be down? or would they be up, because of gravity pulling them down... but his wings would be down because that is whats keepinghim up right... I guess im getting confused by what he is consiously moving and what is just flopping around. I'm noticing hes pretty static in most of his body so im going to *try* to do things like have his head whip around and deform slightly with out it misshaping the mass in his head XD
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:14:18 pm by Rögnvaldr »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 05:50:55 pm
A lot of the movement in the edit acts like an elastic. Imagine you tore an elastic band so it became a string. On one end would be tied a weight and the other you would hold with your fingers. IF you pulled your hand up, the weight on the elastic would cause it to lengthen/expand. When you stopped pulling upward, the snap on the elastic would make it contract and even keep moving up. If you moved your hand down quickly, the weight would actually start to lag behind your hand. This mimics the belly. When your jabberwocky flies up, his belly falls. when your jabber stop flying up and starts to fal, the belly then moves up.