AuthorTopic: Abyss Boss #2.5  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Abyss Boss #2.5

on: May 27, 2007, 03:59:25 am
Drawing

Basic Shading/Color Blotting

I really need some references on a good way to shade this beast. Somebody got thing I can sorta study to apply to this thing, it's for that game I'm making.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: Abyss Boss #2.5

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:40:02 pm
Wow great drawing! and coloring  :) sorry i dnt have anything to reference but try to dither the colors together instead of iinstantly switching colors.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:43:51 pm
Looks like vector art to me at that size.
What's the resolution of your game?
Do you really need sprites of that massive size?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:22:20 pm
repixel at 10%-20% of its current size and we might actually have some pixel crits :P

If you intend to pixel it this large though, good luck.  Remember that textures and mixing ramps will be your greatest ally, as well as defining light and value regions
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:48:17 pm
This isn't the sprite for the actual in-game, it's more the pixel art of the beast in a cut scene moments prior to fighting him. He's intended to take up a large chunk of the screen and I'll stick him in the screen size, put the character in front of him, facing him, just for some dramatic size contrast. As for vector art: I wish, at least it wouldn't have taken me an hour and a half to get his shape good to me. [I'll be honest, I sorta cheated and used the fill tool, but I like to think it's fair game] Most of the actual time was spent tweaking individual parts of the lines so I didn't get overly noticeable and nasty jags.

I'll keep looking for things to study texture from, but man oh man have I got high hopes for this beasty.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 06:16:24 pm
The question is, why didn't you use vector art? It would have shaved 70% off the time needed to create this first rough draft. You'll notice when designing games that time is money. And as you'll notice, it's really hard to texture something this big with a select number of colors.

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 06:30:58 pm
Well, this is a hobby, I'm not working for anybody. Time I have an inexhaustible amount, also I didn't know I'd make it turn out like that >_>

And also, since I may as well use vectors for the other cut scenes, what'd be a good program with vectors?

Update
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:14:42 pm by Zee »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:23:11 pm
I don't know about those textures. Bugs are typically shiny and smooth.

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 07:25:41 pm
Well, the underbelly's good, I think, but the carapace... how can I do smooth on a pixelart this big without being too empty?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 07:29:11 pm
Well, the underbelly's good, I think, but the carapace... how can I do smooth on a pixelart this big without being too empty?

You're gunna need a fairly large palette. Smooth dithering would work, as long as you give the shell a shiny look.

The underbelly looks horribly rough atm. I would suggest making sure you know where your highlights and shadows are going to be before you texture or dither. You also need a buffer shade or two between the highlights and the shadows, there seems to be no midtone atm.

Good luck.