AuthorTopic: [WIP] ME-> my avatar  (Read 4202 times)

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

[WIP] ME-> my avatar

on: May 24, 2007, 09:12:14 pm

i made it in 2 hours, in my spare time during the last few days, i will post some updates tomorrow.

if you have any advices feel free to write them down. i cant post any refference cause i dont have anything but my mirror...

thanks

PS: AdamAtomic -> thanks for the info
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:38:36 am by piotrek255 »
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] ME-> my avatar

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:37:38 pm
I am not crazy about the Pallette, but you have excecuted it reasonably well. But, I would reduce the saturation on the blue in the eyes, it stand out too much, in my opinion.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 09:42:21 am
added some shading and background

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:22 am
no more advices:(??
eh, i think i'm too yellow 0_0 fixing that now.

PS this may be the most noobissh question of all but... how do you add an avatar to your profile?....

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:46:37 pm
I don't fell qualified to do crits anymore, but I will anyways...
I don't even know where to start, it's very painful  :crazy:

A Persons face, You can google this easily, anywhere...always use referances..DO IT or Segata sanshiro will hurt you.

My avatar "portrait", I don't like it much, but it still works. Use it to base colors off of, I wouldn't recommend using it for anything else except anatomy. Forget anti-aliasing, there is none. Notice dithering the the background

http://library.thinkquest.org/C0126120/ethan.jpg
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~chazelle/pics/teenager.jpg

pallete:
The pallete for skin is all yellows, it's all same-ish. Are you sure your not related to The Simpsons? Base the skin off of a tan color and stay away from yellows. Make a larger contrast between colors, don't be afraid to add contrast.
You have greens in there, I'm not sure why, it just looks bad on the face..

Anatomy:
If your holding your neck with both arms raised up, then it doesn't read well enough for me to tell, to me it looks like it's all one entire piece of your body, if this is not the case, however:  People's necks don't bulge or curve to meet the shoulders, think of the neck as a skinny cylinder attached to the top of the torso.
The top of your head appears to be missing tiny chunks of pixels from it. this is due to sloppy lines (below). It's also too small or skinny to looks like the human cranium.
The hair, frankly, looks like a blonde wig due to how you've shaded the face and isolated the hair so much.

Aliasing:
On the aliasing side of things, to be blunt: EVERYthing on this is an aliased nightmare, everything is blockey and/or jagged and needs Anti-alias real real bad.

Overall lines:
The line-work is a jagged mess, and just looks thrown together in about 15-30 minutes or so and was never cleaned up. Make the lines follow contours smoothy and make sure they don't turn jagged and super blocky because a pixel was supposed to be there or wasn't.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 03:15:28 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:51:50 pm
You can't put up an avatar yet, something's screwry with the forum codes.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:48:45 pm
Can I ask, 'what's up with the weird hair?' No definitive shape and random pixels all over the place.