AuthorTopic: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[Finished]  (Read 16475 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: pixeljoint weekly challenge: fighter sprite.[update:]

Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 10:08:08 pm
That scourge upon humanity, 'color swaps', enemy of good pixel art! Do as you wish, but know it makes pixels sad!  :yell:

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 10:11:30 pm
I say it looks pretty good so far but a few things I could point out.
- His left leg looks completely snapped, well more so his ankle than anything. Looks as though his foot should point a lot more to our left.
- The way he's holding his "knife" looks a bit light and weak. Also why did you loose the cool semi-original arm wrap idea you had going on?
- I sort of liked how you had the belt shaded on our right in the second last version but you lost that when you added the "studs"?
- Jacket is a little dark for my tastes and I think Helm's version brought the right amount of brightness.
- Maybe his hair could use some highlights? Seeing as hair is usually shiny and has some spectral qualities.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 01:01:02 am
helm: i promise ill make a proper version, for pixel art sake!
delegneith: ill fix all those problems in the version after i submit. dont worry about the arm wrap, because it is part of his knife, its actually a moving set of things that connect to the knife and go into his veins, hence hes not actually holding his knife. it will be included when i animate it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 02:09:27 pm
I don't like Helm's edit at all. The near blacks he talks about look grey-ish on my high saturation LCD screen, so those tones are very valid to me.

Also, palette swapping is art to me. I have struggled for months now trying to develop a consistent paletting library that integrates with the graphics library I want to use...

Ryumaru, the arms might still be a tad too long to look comfortable. A pixel or 3 shorter might already do the trick...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 11:48:21 pm
I don't like Helm's edit at all. The near blacks he talks about look grey-ish on my high saturation LCD screen, so those tones are very valid to me.

perhaps you need to calibrate your monitor then.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 11:52:53 pm
yea, i have to agree with helm on this one.
untz untz untz?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 02:42:59 am
mmm... Helm, i think i must agree with gil. my monitor is calibrated well (enough), and it does seem a little harsh. I think Ryu might have had maybe 1 unnecessary color, the closest one to his darkest, but other than that, they are all very readable if your monitor has a good contrast ratio (i believe mine is something like 800:1). I prefer the more subtle smoothness of Ryu's original attempt.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:46:14 am by Stwelin »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 11:53:21 am
Hmm, lots of mixed oppinions here. I myself prefer Helm's edit as it reads better.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 01:18:30 pm
As I see it (this might be subjective due to calibration, but still), Helm's edit does look better at 1x, due to the higher contrast, but loses its flair quickly at 2x. Ryu's edit is a little dark, but it does stay a lot smoother in the 2x and 3x zooms. I suggest he keeps the same ammount of colors, but adds the contrast we find in Helm's edit.

I also liked the distinct colour spaces Ryu provided. I see the harmony in using a unified palette, but is it always the solution?

You still need to work on the limbs, I find them to be very rubbery and elongated and generally broken. You can pull off the look, if you really nail the simplified anatomy. It's much easier to just correct the sizes of the limbs though...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 10:10:48 pm
ok, changed the pallette a bit, plus some other very small edits.
i think im done with this piece, theres obviously still stuff i could fix but ill just be a defiant little teen like i should be :3

i dont hate it, so thats a good sign. doesnt happen very often.