AuthorTopic: The makings of a hero ~ Huzzah!  (Read 5187 times)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

The makings of a hero ~ Huzzah!

on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:43 pm
I had a couple of free hours last night, so I started making an action platformer mock-up. I need some suggestions regarding the hero though, I'm a bit indecisive at the moment. :-\

The left is the first one I drew, just getting some ideas down. The right is that design taken to more extreme levels (exempli gratia: bigger crazier hat).

I decided that character didn't look enough like the rouge knight I had in mind, so I redid it completely. The first is first draft, the second is with some outlines because the character got lost in the tiling too easily, and the last is my latest tweaking.

But now I am feeling that the latest design is probably too generic and smallish. :(

Comments, edits, GTFOs?

Edits: Latest version:  

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 07:19:34 am by im9today »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: The makings of a hero ~ Huzzah!

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:38:02 pm
its interesting, reminds me a lot of Vandal Hearts

They lack a certain readability as they stand, if that is important to you i would work a bit on that, otherwise id just plaw ahead
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:56:10 pm
I have to say that the top 2 are very muddled and unreadable. I think they need more contrast and be less fuzzy. I imagine they would look quite the mess if animated.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 02:20:29 am
@Adarias: Hmm, I've never played it, but looking at some images from it I think it is the kind of look I am going for. About the readability, read below. Thanks. :3
@ptoing: Hmm, I will go back and try to correct those when I get this last sprite the way I want it. It'll be good practice. :D Any tips for fixing that? ??? Should I stick more to basic shapes and less shades? Just less of everything? Hrm...  :-\

Latest update: Color changes, costume tweaks, trying to remove some anime ghey from it.

Edit: I just realized those arms are completely unreadable on this latest edit. Fixing. ><

Edit: Better?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 02:36:09 am by im9today »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:30 am
Alot better in terms of readability, I still can't tell what's going on with the arms tho. Or even where they are.. :-\

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 03:22:10 am
you have many near-blacks. A more focused palette, 12 or 16 colors would actually help readability at small sizes. many colors often means grainy effect

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 06:44:13 am

I tried, really I did Helm. :-[ I can't stop clinging to my colors though. I found a way to eliminate or differentiate the blacks you spoke of at least.

The blue ghey strikes back! I started again, trying to focus more on forms for animation and less colors. A halting step forward or a dismal leap backward? :-\

A flame effect, probably to be used as a trail for a sword's swing. Feels like I'm on the right track but missing the point so to speak.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 10:36:32 am
the way it's divided now makes him look like hes in drag.

i think the most recent one with the older colors is the better of the two - but i would clean him up a bit:

its just a start - still a ways to go.

things I've noticed you've been doing which aren't going any lengths to improve readability:

you have over half a dozen ramps that are good in the color parts, but the lights and the darks are really close and can be removed.
you dither in such tight spaces that you are defining false forms instead of smoothing.  keep forms together etc.
your forms are rather skinny.  the fact is, small sprites do better to be pudgy or simple-shaded.

good luck :P

fireball will work well if it is set to additive light, but if it is solid, i would make it twice or thrice as bright
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:49:34 pm
Thanks Adarias, those are some good ways to reduce the colors :0, I'll incorporate (see: steal) them, albeit with my own little spin since I don't like some of the more petrolic hue shifts you tend to use. Just personal preference on that issue, I think you will understand.

you dither in such tight spaces that you are defining false forms instead of smoothing.
Actually, I was trying to define chainmail on the arms and legs. Guess that failed... maybe the space is just too small to do that? Nah, I'm sure there is a way. Hrm.

Trying to skirt the line of rudeness here, but what the hell is that suppoused to mean? If you're going to say something like that, explain it. That's like dropping me off in the middle of the wilderness and telling me to find my way home. :-\

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:07:51 pm
Trying to skirt the line of rudeness here, but what the hell is that suppoused to mean? If you're going to say something like that, explain it. That's like dropping me off in the middle of the wilderness and telling me to find my way home. :-\

sorry, i just dont know enough of what you want / didn't have enough time to really finish that sprite.  my edit is not a finished project, more another step in that direction in my eyes.

as far as the chainmail, i dont honestly think you have the pixels for it.  at resolutions where it doesn't muddy the forms, you don't see the texture and might was well use solid colors.  at resolution where the texture is visible, well, you guessed it - forms are muddy.  besides, chain mail looses its visible rings at resolutions far, far higher than your sprite - it wouldn't make sense to be able to see any pattern here unless its the rows, not the individual links, and even that is a stretch.
A mistake is a mistake.