AuthorTopic: Dragon Slayer CC/suggestions :)  (Read 7880 times)

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Dragon Slayer CC/suggestions :)

on: May 10, 2007, 10:58:51 pm
Hey, taken a break from pixeling for a couple of weeks, but today I've made a new picture, well 90% today, did a little bit last night.  Main crit im looking for is my lighting/reflections (the dragon is meant to have a metallic skin) and general pixelling technique, altho comments on style, composition etc are welcome :).  It is based upon runescape, which explains the whip and armour (and yes it is a guy in a skirt... dont ask :P)

Updated version

Overall I am really pleased with it, altho I am sure there are weaknesses in it, hopefully I can learn from them :) and I think it works well
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:39:08 pm by skoby »

Offline candiru

• View Profile

Re: Dragon Slayer CC/suggestions :)

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:31:09 pm
It's really nice. I think you can tweak the lighting, the dragon is too bright and could use more contrast. Is this taking place in a cave? It seem kind of dark, and the fire should have a more dramatic effect on the surroundings. It could be very effective if you make the flame the major light source. The flame could use some darker, redder areas,  and some smoke too.

Offline IoIXoX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 01:07:18 am
i like the dragon but the characters arms and legs are sort of  ???. and don't be afraid to draw hands, they're not that bad when you get used to drawing them.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 01:51:58 am
wow, someone doing a decent runescape pixel signature! amazing! anyway, the basis of everything looks pretty solid, that is, the perspective and all the general forms and positions of the characters. Hmm.. i think that it just needs to be refined. The hair is really just kinda mop-ish, and it lacks dynamic lighting. Try darkening the image towards the edges, and make the lightsource the flame? It could use some reds in/around the fire. The thing that needs the most work here in my opinion is just your rendering technique.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 02:06:52 am
wow, someone doing a decent runescape pixel signature! amazing!
Couldnt of said it better,  on the sheild the claw marks(?) or what not look sorta not realy that random. and the dragons eyes blend to much maybe make them stick out a little more.

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:47:01 am
Thanks for the nice comments :) I will try doing an edit for the lighting and try editing some details.  It probably didnt help that the charactor was finished before the rest of the sig.  I used a reference for the flame (a very photo took myself ages ago) and I did make my version brighter and used less red, I will try being more true to the references colour (I mostly used it for the shape of the flame).  I will try making the ground brighter around the flame and perhaps extend the darkest shade around the edges.  It is supposed to be a cave, but the creators of jagex don't seem to understand lighting at all, there are a few torches around the cave, yet the ground is far lighter than I made it, and the dragons are brighter too, so using screenshots doesnt help with lighting.

As for my rendering technique, Im not quite sure what you mean, do you mean the way I've used dithering and shaded the dragon etc? I have only recently started using dithering (didnt have the patience for it in paint, and only got gale about a month ago) so its probably a bit sloppy by your standards.  But thanks for all the comments, keep them coming :) I will post updates on saturday, as its currently almost 4am and got a busy day ahead of me.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:58:39 am
Yes, that is what i mean by rendering technique. the little specks on the dragon that i assume are coming from the light source seem really random, and just plain noisy. try instituting a little method to the madness, instead of just putting them down, try out patterns and whatnot so it looks like it's not a sketch.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 11:53:06 am
i like the dead guy lying to the far right :D

nice piece. the left leg on the character are somewhat short, no? Or it's too think or misplaced... make some adjustments to it atleast :D (compare to his body and mostly noticable compared to the right leg :D)
maybe the character is born like that? with problematic body atonomy. You also need to adjust his left arm ;) reminds me of Scary Movie 2 of the butlers ugly fingers :D haha
Somehow I don't like the end of the flame the dragon breathes. Some adjustments to that also, perhap;s.Also fix the lighting as the others have written.

Other than that! awesome piece!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:57:35 am by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:42:47 pm
Finally got round to making some changes after a busy weekend, I think I have covered most of the criticism, I had trouble with the left arm, and the hands are meant to be in gloves, and well I dont like drawing hands on small scale, never managed to get them right. I feel the lighting is far better now, altho I didn't manage to improve the flame much, I tried adding more reds and oranges into it but I didnt like how that worked out.  I edited the update into the top post :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:51:33 pm
Is it 'Iron' or 'Jron'?

Also, OOT, what's with whips in runescape signatures. Every time there's a 'badass' character in a runescape sig (which is always as I guess that's what all this microeconomy 'pay me in game currency to draw your character all badass in mspaint' is about) they're wearing a regal crown and carrying a whip.