AuthorTopic: Fire elf revamp x3  (Read 8661 times)

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Fire elf revamp x3

on: May 05, 2007, 07:30:15 pm
Alright so one of my oldest pixel art pieces was this fire elf character I made up. Had come up with some ideas and all for this race of elves. Later on down the line after honing in some more pixel skills I redid the sprite again trying to bring out some facial features and show my improved skill. The second time rolled around and I figured why not revamp the piece again. Looked better and at the time was probably pretty decent for me.

One thing all these pieces were lacking was an interesting and thought out light source and suffered from mirroring more or less. So that's where the third revamp and fourth piece came in. Just finished this one and tried to include a strong light source and some palette tweaks. Any comments or edits are welcome on improving this piece or thoughts on the progress over the years.

Here they are in order from earliest to latest:

Latest:

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: Fire elf revamp x3

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:40:06 pm
awesome! The lastest one is like an updated mix of 2 & 3. The only thing for me is, this doesnt really remind me of a fire elf anymore, possibly when you finish it, it will..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:50:29 pm
I liked the eye thing, and I'm sure you can pull it off much better and more glowily now that you're awesome.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 07:58:33 pm
Yea I think I'm going to try as that was sort of a big thing why they looked "fire like" in the first place. The way it stands my palette is at 16 colors but as I have no real reasons for limitations other than my self set ones I could add some more colors for the glow.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:02:02 pm
Also, I liked the warmness of the orange and stuff. Some more warmth would be cool. After all, he is fire and whatnot.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 09:33:11 pm
no reason to add mroe colors, take the brights from the hair and existing eye and the orange from the cloak and you will be all set
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:25:37 am
Design wise, i love how you went from standard template anime style to something with personality and uniqueness. Shading and volumes are very nice on the latest version. I do agree that the glow effects of the one before your last did add more life to it, hair and head are a bit too "unfied", maybe the eyes and hair should stray more from the browns, and the bright red cloak lean more towards the skin browns.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 06:38:10 am
Ok well did a little edit/update here and tried to add the glowing eyes with my existing colors. I think it turned out alright. One with the "tattoos" and one without.

Haven't gotten around to trying to make the hair and face look a little less unified. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow unless someone helps out with an edit.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 06:45:48 pm

Quick edit..I just used the reds, instead of skin ones for the hair...I think it looks fine, and works with the fire elf theme.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Generic

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:50:20 pm
No offense Malor, but I personally liked the original hair color a little more. But this is coming along very nicely. Maybe if the glow sort of connected with the other glow it would look better. I'll try and do an edit if I have time soon since it is hard to explain.