AuthorTopic: Bob. And Mr.Jenkins. Jenkins finished.  (Read 5961 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Bob. And Mr.Jenkins. Jenkins finished.

on: May 04, 2007, 11:31:59 pm
This is based off of a sketch I did during Algebra.....I was bored. I decided it would be fun to pixle, so I did. I attemted some AA agian, not sure how it worked out.  I am pretty happy with this image for the most part, except the hat, I might just remove it..

->->
Oldest -> newest
C/C is encouraged :)

UPDATE-

Redid mr.Bob, now with 40% more manic despression.     :D  I really like this new one, and I think I solved most problems. I am still considering removing the hat..Also, I think I adressed the contrast issue.

Update- I have decided to continue this idea, into a series. The series is titled "The Office". I will have a whole group of people...it should be good practice for me :) Today, I started the fat, money grubbing Boss, Mr.Jenkins. I only have the head right now, but I am very happy with it.
->->

I could use some help with the monocle, though.

Update- I worked on contrast for Mr.Jenkins. I think it looks better, I will get around to the body eventually, any skecth I do looks..wrong..

Update- Fiddled a bit with bob, and finished Mr.Jenkins. Probably gonna put the seris on hold for a bit..I might not, though. I would appreciate at least some comments.. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 01:19:31 am by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Re: Bob.

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:21:00 am
Well to be honest this piece still looks like a sketch. Everything seems to rough and jaggy.

I'd suggest you loose the AA for now and work more on your color ramps and blocking in volumes. The piece lacks depth and the colors really seem a bit boring. Face has no contrast really in itself but then you have some dark jaggy lines like the lines like the eyes  that need some buffering between them and the rest of the skin. Also the mouth and nose and details seem to be in need of a little smoothing. Shirt looks random the lines and has no buffering. Over use of black in the piece. Your spectral highlights seem very random with the gaps between them. Almost like some kind of noise.

I'd suggest just taking your time to polish this up, look at some other examples and maybe someone will help you out with an edit.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 12:29:04 am
Thanks for the comment, In a way, I meant to to feel sketchy, but, I will take your comments into account. I will probably fix it up, or redo it, as I have a habbit to do. Thanks for the criticism, it really helps me know where to go from here :)
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 01:10:03 pm
I don't think you meant it to be sketchy, its less visually pleasing on the eyes than what it could look like.. your colour shades are too close in some places and suddenly jump in others.. surely its common sense to work on making your palette work to the best of your ability. your AA really needs some work, try woking on AAing something more simple, maybe a black and white image so you can concentrate on using depth correctly and keeping your shades in tune with each other.

I do think you are on the right tracks tho and its good to see you challenging yourself with some new techniques but as Delgneith said, take your time to polish it up and make sure your always studying other peoples work, compare your character with someone else's atm and just see how you could improve on it, check out their AAing, colour selections etc.

goodluck.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 02:30:40 pm
there's a big difference between sketchy and messy.  this needs some real cleaning :P but you're on the right track and it's a big improvement for you
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 05:19:55 pm
there's a big difference between sketchy and messy.  this needs some real cleaning :P but you're on the right track and it's a big improvement for you

Thanks for the COmment ;D, and thanks to you aswell, Terley. I will work on this, and get some more contrast going on. Hearing that it is an improvemant makes me happy, now to jsut refine it a bit more..

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 07:17:30 pm
Doulbe post..sorry

Anyways, redid mr.Bob, now with 40% more manic despression. ;D I really like this new one, and I think I solved most problems. I am still considering removing the hat..Also, I think I adressed the contrast issue.

I am alot happier with this outcome, comments?

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: Bob. REVAMPED, now with 40% more manic depression.

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 11:06:51 pm
bring back the referee jersey and the intense pure white highlights.  work on your aa some. neaten up your shadows.

thats my advice.
untz untz untz?

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Re: Bob. REVAMPED, now with 40% more manic depression.

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 11:25:50 pm
bring back the referee jersey and the intense pure white highlights.  work on your aa some. neaten up your shadows.

thats my advice.

What AA? I used none in this peice, except the tiniest bit on the eyes.. :huh:

Offline Malor

• View Profile
Decided on a Series. Titled "the Office", this should keep me busy for a while, and will be very good practice. I have started the Fat, Money grubbing, Boss. Mr.Jenkins. I only have the head, but the body is coming soon.

comments, criticisms, are all very welcome :)