AuthorTopic: Dark Admiral Saber  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Reldros

• 100 years of rain.
    • View Profile

Dark Admiral Saber

on: May 04, 2007, 01:09:26 am

heh, my first submission. (and post)  :yell:
i'm sorta new to pixelling, but in time i'm hoping to improve.

as for the sword, i wasn't really sure where to go from here. i tried dithering a bit, but it looked really bad.
definitely some AA needed, but edits and c&c welcome.

hopefully i'll make a wielder for this sword someday.  :)

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Re: Dark Admiral Saber

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:48:12 pm
   You should stay away from solid black outlines, especially if the object isn't black.  Instead use a darker color that's close to what you're using.  Also, for a sword you need to think about the kind of material a sword is.  It's metal so you should try to put some shiny streaks rather than giving it a random gradient.  1-2 main shades might do it for the whole blade

I made a quick edit to show you what I mean:

Hope that helps :)

Offline Reldros

• 100 years of rain.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:04:14 pm
   You should stay away from solid black outlines, especially if the object isn't black.  Instead use a darker color that's close to what you're using.  Also, for a sword you need to think about the kind of material a sword is.  It's metal so you should try to put some shiny streaks rather than giving it a random gradient.  1-2 main shades might do it for the whole blade

I made a quick edit to show you what I mean:

Hope that helps :)
thanks for the edit! i like what you did there, but the black outlined one was just the first version.
i went from line art -> filled in line art (what you edited) -> the good version that's on the original pic.

the shine you did on the blade doesn't really match the style i was going for though.  :(

i'll keep trying different stuff to see what i can come up with.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:31:51 am
I think the sword design is interesting, though not completely unlike something I've seen before.
As for your two versions there I'm not sure which one I prefer. The black outline is killing the piece in the first but the lack of outline (and contrast) in the second is not helping either. I would suggest a mix between the two. An outline that lightens with the lighting perhaps.

Another thing that is kind of lost in the pic is the little ornament-esque stuff coming down from the hilt onto the blade. Just is hard to read.

Anyhow here's an edit I did trying to get some more contrast and lighting out of the lines and smoothing them out. I hope it is of some help.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 12:47:02 am

Anyhow here's an edit I did trying to get some more contrast and lighting out of the lines and smoothing them out. I hope it is of some help.

Nice edit Delgneith!
IN general, this peice lacks the metallic properties of...metal :-[ Up the contrast, and have a white hgihlight, as shown with Del's edit. Also, if you intended the lighter purple to be an razor edge, I would go for white, or near white, with greys shaded in with it..l did an edit to show some things I was talking about..

I messed with colors, and added a quick razor-type edge, it's not perfect, but it's alright for reference I suppose. Also, disregard the white spots on the handle..I was jsut messing around :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Reldros

• 100 years of rain.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 01:06:37 am
those both helped me understand the blade-shine effect, thanks.  ;D
and yes, very well done delgneith.

i'll do my own edit and see if i can get it to look cool.  :'(

ps: who ever said it was a metal blade? ;]