AuthorTopic: Small Dump  (Read 6402 times)

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Small Dump

on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:16 am
I've done a lot of pixel art in one style, so I've been trying out some different things. For some of these, I was trying to make a similar style to some mobile games I looked up. I spent yesterday and today making these.  The portrait is my boyfriend.  He's not really Italian, but I thought the mustache was funny, so I left it.

C&C

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Re: Small Dump

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:06:09 am
i wuw the colors of the prince of persia-esque castle/dungeon/whatever place.  :lol:
the bomberman-looking game looks fun :) impressive work!

resolution of mobile phones are going from 176x220 to 240x320. but i still think 176x220 is the resolution you should concentrate on for games to have largest compatibility. just a hint from nowhere :)
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:11:59 pm
amazing work, very unique style. I like your colours.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:45:35 am
i wuw the colors of the prince of persia-esque castle/dungeon/whatever place.  :lol:
the bomberman-looking game looks fun :) impressive work!

resolution of mobile phones are going from 176x220 to 240x320. but i still think 176x220 is the resolution you should concentrate on for games to have largest compatibility. just a hint from nowhere :)

Thanks, I've been wondering what the resolutions were.  I'm also curious if there is a tile size they usually use?  I've been making these in 16x16 tiles, but I know 220 isn't divisible by 16 so it seems like that wouldn't work.

Offline Oceans Dream

• Sabrina!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:34:29 am
From what I read, the tile size is still 16x16.
http://www.mobilegd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3312&Itemid=2

Don't know how reliable that source is, but it's in there if you want to check it out.

I don't really have any critiques for them, I think they're good. Is the blurry look on the face of the first one intentional? I can't really make out any details on the face for that one.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:10:05 am
drawing on cellphone is done per-image-basis or per-pixel-basis... not per-tile-basis ;) so you can have whichever tilesize you want... but 16x16 is pretty much an ideal size for tiles.. so keep going for it :) When I made my mobile phone game I used 16x16. I made the level editor yet I wasn't allowed to create any maps :) that sucked ;)
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:04:16 pm
16x16 tiles are fairly standard. We have used 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 and some other wierd sizes, so don't feel like you have to restrict it one way or another.

few quick comments:
- seems like you have chosen to make the few characters/enemies very very small. i would try doing larger character pieces if this is meant for portfolio
- all the images seem very monochromatic...like they all rely on similar colors. I would try to expand your color use
- making actual mockups is a good way to show you understand and can create all necessary elements of a game (tiles, characters, effects, HUD, etc)

you obviously have talent, i think you just need to focus on getting impact portfolio pieces that show potential employers what they are missing by not employing you.  cheers.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 02:47:05 pm
Hm.. That face, why exactly have you added a green color there xD?

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 04:25:45 pm
I've noticed that a lot of people add some color variations to make their pixel artwork more interesting.  So, for the face I was trying to make it seem like there was a little bit of green light. I suppose it probably should have been more dramatic or not put it there.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 01:55:54 am
Hm.. That face, why exactly have you added a green color there xD?

I was wondering that, is it based off of a color reduced image? EIther way, nice work. The first characters anatomy seems off, around the legs mostly. I am really diggin' the portrait, though :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.