AuthorTopic: Pyramids WIP v1.2  (Read 6143 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Pyramids WIP v1.2

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:28:43 am
great improvement!  stylistically the mix of dithering/noise and big fat outlines seems like an odd choice to me; it makes the surfaces look more dirty than textured.  at least for me - it may be i'm too conditioned by the likes of drill dozer and warioland, but i'd be very interested to see some smoother coloring and less dithering (like you've done with the sprites) on your background tiles.  nice progress so far!

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 08:42:36 am
This is great. Really like the foreground tiles on the right. Maybe you should make the diamonds from front view so it is consistent with the other bonuses. Also the outline for the dune might look
better thinner.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 01:17:08 pm
great improvement!  stylistically the mix of dithering/noise and big fat outlines seems like an odd choice to me; it makes the surfaces look more dirty than textured.  at least for me - it may be i'm too conditioned by the likes of drill dozer and warioland, but i'd be very interested to see some smoother coloring and less dithering (like you've done with the sprites) on your background tiles.  nice progress so far!
quoted for thruth. If you are going to go chunky outlines, i really think everything needs to be as clean as possible. right now it looks to me like there is a conflict of styles.

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 06:47:04 pm
Yeah, you're definitely right.  Here's how it looks without the outlines: