AuthorTopic: Console/Handheld Mock-Up Reference Guide  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Console/Handheld Mock-Up Reference Guide

on: April 21, 2007, 04:00:27 pm
I thought since mock ups are quite popular it might be nice if there were a reference guide to create accurate mock-ups for different classic and modern consoles as well as handhelds that push pixels.  Things such as resolution, colour limitations, tile size, etc... If there is already a thread for something like this I apologize, but I couldn't find one.

I'm not too familiar with them myself, which is partially why I'm posting this, but I'm sure that many of you have worked on or experimented with a variety of these platforms and it would be great if you could share this information for those who wish to do accurate console mock-ups or actual games using the limitations of these consoles/handhelds.

Thanks,

-Fry

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Console/Handheld Mock-Up Reference Guide

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:16:56 am
originally all this kind of information was going to be in the wiki. but then nobody could be bothered with it. maybe we could all go to wikipedia and grab the specs from there, paste them into this thread, do a bit of a clean up and then maybe a mod post a final/stickied version?
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:25:06 am
seems like a useful thing to have.
for now, we can use this thread to gather any information from anyone who would like to contribute it.  :y:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 04:57:36 am
My usual contribution :P

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:29 pm
That's NES, right?

Let's all make our specs into an image like that, looks really neat. Where is ptoing's c64 one?

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:49:34 pm
Great idea to collect all this information.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3225.msg40719#msg40719
Thats a post by ptoing including his c64 pic and oric stuff. Although I like these images they are sometimes not enough I think, for example I don't know what the "fade region" from the NES is. I could do some research but in the end this stuff is made to contain all relevant information, isn't it?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:17:50 pm
yeah my image is more meant to be a starter for mockups, rather than a full tech spec.   The NES is so friggin weird about some things that its impossible to make a nice, concise rules sheet for it!  People who want to dig deeper should really start checking out the NES homebrew scene, there's a lot of great documentation out there.  Its highly technical, but it has to be, because its the only way to explain some of the crazy stuff about how the NES works :P