AuthorTopic: Platformer mockup WIP  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Platformer mockup WIP

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 05:09:30 am
I love the concept; it's interesting the way you dithered/faded out the top to go into the interface, and I admire your ambition to take on such a large piece, but I think it's suffering a bit.
The main thing is repetition: the arches, the columns, the bricks, the floor--all are very repetitive. This may be do the size you are trying to take on, which I guess you really can't do much about, but on a smaller resolution, I guess it'd be less noticeable.....and I see that you tried to break it up a bit with different colored bricks and the glowing cracks, but I still think it lacks.  The simplest route you could take is to add things like ivy or cracks.  Good luck in this department...
The other thing I noticed, small I guess compared to the former issue.  I think that the latter could stand out more...it just blends in with the corridor.
But otherwise, a solid mock up.  You could maybe do something interesting with the interface, but that's personal choice.  Can't wait to see this finished.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:46:22 am
Rydin: monotomy is not an issue with platformer games. Try taking a CastleVania level layout and looking at it. Repetition hits even harder than here. When you're playing an action game you won't even notice this...

Can't wait to see more Sharm

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 01:13:34 pm
Nice progress and good work, Sharm!
Top is fractional too much, from this higher column, do they lower and divisibility is disappear. You have too much piece for top, he press down on character - lift up him (and it's not usefull area for action - just for beauty). The column do a more thick, because it's COLUMN, not a stick. Than clear from column water - now it's not inetresting decision - use the big ark (with something pattern) for similar piece. And bg do it more darkness.

You atmosphere will be more gripping... )))
And for enemy (see on my image) - now you do more better, but he look as pattern, not for a while yet. Play line on his contour - thin, thick, empty line and some aura with right dithering (I don't do this).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:34:01 pm by mangust »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 04:48:44 pm
Rydin:  It is on the big side for a mock up, isn't it?  I wasn't sure what size to do, so I looked at a few pixelated games for the pc and they were all 640x480.  It allows me to put some fun detail in the character design though.  I think it's a little on the boring side too.  I am planning on fixing the water drips (they aren't supposed to glow) and the floor bricks and columns are going to get a little more variation in shading.  I was going to try adding tumbled down sections to the wall or blocked off corridors to add something to the background.  You're right, it's a lot of work, but at least it'll look nice once the character's moving around in it.  I'll try to up the contrast to the ladder, it does blend in a bit much.  I'm not sure what to do with the HUD.  I'm going to keep playing with it.

Sorry Mangust, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying about the top.  I like what you did with the arch over the water, I'll try that, and I'll darken the background.  I'll play with my monster's line thickness, but I think the dithering isn't going to help.  Your edit makes him look more like an ice monster.

I'll try to get a new edit up soon, but I think I'll be going slower than I was last night.  Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 05:23:57 pm
Is a monster liquid? If so I think it's need no sharp edges and some "transperancy" - darker spots in a middle maybe.=)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 09:57:08 pm
He's supposed to be made out of lightning.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 11:33:46 pm
Then make him yellow, or add yellow. People will instantly understand.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 12:21:45 am
i understood instantly...
no real crits from me other than maybe remove the black outlines?
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 12:11:34 pm
For top I am mean (sorry for my english) - just some up him  :)
About monster - Yes, maybe change color help you, also if he is lighting, than need some light from him (dithering, transparency).
Please continue, we will be wait )))

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 03:31:36 am
IT all looks so flat...

The top of the screen with the columns just looks REALLY strange IMO, I haven't actually seen any architecture like it...in a sewer? I don't know what to say about it, but I would just ditch it.

The floor tiles desolve into black far too quickly to be of any interest as well.

The background bricks need some type of texture. Bricks aren't merely some type of plastic looking material- All shiny and perfect- No. Bricks form cracks and break into pieces after many many years giving them character, making them interesting to look at. Try adding some strains to the bricks and various imperfections.
The layout of the bricks is stale as well, it looks very heavily tiled, you need to make it so one cannot tell if it's beginning or ending.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:46:02 am by Draco9898 »