AuthorTopic: Trees are terrific, or should be...  (Read 4037 times)

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Trees are terrific, or should be...

on: September 29, 2005, 05:23:00 pm
I don't have a lot of time to devote to this, so my project has been put on hold for some time, but I have a little time and I want to fix these trees, these are supposed to be RTS warcraft style. I know they need some work, give me your crits please.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 05:25:19 pm by xanthier »
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Trees are terrific, or should be...

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:07:00 pm
hey xanthier =)

I think you got a nice foilage texture going on there. if I was you I'd just grab some highights I liked, and extended them out of the tree, so that they have a bit more of an irregular shape and they dont look so much like spheres.

for the treetrunks...those are looking badly pillow shaded. drop a few extra shades, make the colors browner (the highest highlight should barely be as gray as your mid-tones) and bring out the barks in the trunk the way you did with the leafs in the foilage

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 11:29:36 am
Man :D I had a popup window ontop of the truks for a while. so when I drawed off the drawing I was a bit disapointed! I really like the foliage.  Ithink you pretty much nailed the volumes and all, but the trunks and then ground mess it up. try to rework the trunk! that's as much as I can tell you right now

KAzuya MOchu
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:29:54 pm
hey camus,

thanks all, will work it and repost soon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 06:45:35 pm by xanthier »

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 03:44:29 pm
sorry about the soon part, RL everyone.

here is the result, it still needs work I think but it's improving. Something still not right about the trunks, now they look too rounded I think. and too smooth, I need to bring out the bark more.

oh and I forgot to work on giving the trees a rougher shape, in fact I did the opposite, they look like globes now, I think I was trying to get them smoother, I'll have to work on that. I think I might post the old tops on the new trunks and then extend those highlights. Crits away!
oh and I still need help with this project if you know someone, I have time again.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:04:14 pm by xanthier »