AuthorTopic: pro motion: manual color reduction, technically speaking  (Read 8939 times)

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile
Hi,

here is my "problem":
let's say I have 3 colors in my palette, black, green , blue.. all used..
Now I just want to have 2 colors, and I want to change all the green pixels to blue...
How to do this, without having to repixel all the green pixels in blue? (that's how I did so far but I'm getting lazier and lazier it seems  :crazy: )

I tried to copy the blue on the green (in the palette) and then removed unused colors or duplicate colors but it doesn't do what I want..

edit: ok I just found a way, using the stencil that kind of works, but I was wondering if a "cleaner" way exists , just using the tools from the Colors menu /palette..

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:59:14 am by kakikukeko »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: pro motion: manual color reduction, technically speaking

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:15 am
You could also do it this way: Copy the blue over the green in the palette, remove duplicate colors and then remap colors (for this frame or the whole animation).

Quote from: Promotion Help
Remap Colors (submenu)
If you change the color table but you don't want these changes to take affect to the image. This function adapts all colors of an image to their current color table according to the colors the image had before the change. You can remap the colors of Frame, Animation, Brush and Brush to Gradient which remaps the brush to the currently selected gradient. Ideal to use certain palette regions for different graphic tiles.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 10:36:01 am
If you're swapping colours in a still picture, using photoshop is usually a quick option.

If you have Photoshop you can just paste the piece in there, use the Wand tool and uncheck Anti-alias, Contiguous and Sample all layers in the top banner. When you now select a specific colour, it selects everything with that colour.

Of course, if you're feeling desperate you can also use MS paint. Select the first colour as the one you want to replace, and the second as the one replacing it. Then use the erase tool over the colour you want replaced using the right mousebutton.

Pretty much useless for animation of course.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:01:32 am
Well, all this would actually be 'worse' in a sense, since changing single colors is not the problem here, but maintaining a nice and clean index-palette, which ultimately are messed up in PS as far as I know (they definitely are in PSP7, even though it has index colour-modes).

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:09:57 am
couldn't you just give the two colours the same rbg value and then sort colours and then remove unused colours? i tested and it seemed to work.

Edit: tested it again and it still works.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:12:49 am by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:21:18 am
Well, this would rearrange your whole palette though, which is not good if you want to keep different ramps apart.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:25:33 am
snake: the wand tool only works on contiguous part of the drawing on my version of PS.. for this, I think "color range"with no fuzziness works better.. otherwise, yes photoshop works , you 're right, just I don't feel to open PS just for this  :hehe: (and I don't see the point of MS paint as I use promotion  ;D ) , thx anyway.. :)

Akira, when I remove unused colors nothing happens because all colors are still used, so it doesn't remove anything.. when I press remove duplicate colors, it really removes the color  from the palette, but all the pixels that indexed this color become black.. so actually Miascugh 's trick is the best,

Miascugh, thx, it works perfectly     :)  I will stick to this method until I find -hear of - a faster one  ;D

I'm really surprised there is not an  automatic way to do this action tho..  :P

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:18:10 pm
Another way to do it, is to use the stencil tool. This method is a little bit slower but can be used if you want to replace one colour with several other colours (hope you understand. I'm not good at explaining this). Choose the colour you want to replace in the stencil dialog box and press the invert stencil button. You can now paint in the new colour with a standard brush tool, shape tool or whatever. It's very similar to the magic wand tool in Photoshop.

Btw, I think we should make a sticky thread where we can gather all those nifty tricks that can be made with Pro Motion.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 04:18:42 pm
Yeah, I basically do what Mia said.

1) Create a duplicate frame.
2) Turn off equal palllettes.
3) In frame 2, copy green over to blue.
4) In frame 1, erase blue.
5) Do single pallette > 1 to 2.
6) Erase frame 1.

The issue is that Pro Motion doesn't see 'colors'. It just sees which pixels pull from which pallette spot. This is  important because most pixel games (GBA, mobile, etc) use palllette rows, so even though I have a 0,0,0 black in multiple rows, different sprites have to use different pallette sprites to ensure a 1-row sprite.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 05:58:17 pm
Though a quick 'remove duplicate colors' runthrough takes care of that if somebody needs it.