AuthorTopic: Mario and CRT TVs  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: to-roTA to-roTA TO....Mario start!

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 07:46:57 pm
edit
I just went back and looked at mario from super mario allstars, and not even the big mario has the M thingy ^_^.

That was exactly the point...I wanted to see if it was posible to add all those little things, I am not trying to emulate All Stars. All stars was just the NES sprites with a quick job shading...

if anything I'm trying to do what the guys of the gameboy Mario Sports(tennis, golf, party etc...) games did, and also the GBC Games & Watch gallery (the GBA G&W is another example of good 8-bit sprites with crapass 16 bit shading)

I think you are doing too much "drawing" and too little implying, if you know what I mean.  For instance, you use a black line to separate Mario's shoes, when I think having one solid brown blob and only using strong highlights to suggest that there are two shoes, or something like that, would work.
guys...you dont have to go to such extent to explain me the concepts, I'm the kinda guy that gets the theory easily but in practice gets all fucked up :p I myself make that exact critique a lot....I also have lost lots of....the I dunno how to call it.....the  "it", the intuition you get when you practice something often, I find myself thinking a lot more than when I did pixelart regularly.

I'm getting more and more convinced that posting a sprite whitout atleast a mockup is just sheer nonesense. The color balance of a sprite must be specifically made for the backgrounds, there must be Art Direction. Tsugumo's meme of "a sprite that looks good on any background" is hopeful thinking.

I'm researching CRT tv flaws  to see if I can create/find a simulation of CRT, cause that's really my intented target display. anybody know the resolution in which "mario all stars" displayed in a CRT?

This is pretty interesting, I found out what that strange color bleeding CRT TVs have that always interested me was

that's a teletext "e" in aperture grille I converted it to real size, photoshop made it into a black mess and I had to redo the Brightness & contrast for it to look like it should .strangely enough in amount of pixels it's 14 width by 10 tall, while the font itself is 14 by 5. Seems aperture grill has a really ample pixel width so I had to give it 14 width and have the pc emulate the rest.

do you guys know of any way to apply Shadow Mask/Aperture Grill filters to an image?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:35:29 pm by Conceit »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Mario and CRT TVs

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 09:16:48 pm
I think you won't come around writing some little application or plugin for the software you use. I don't know how powerfull pro motions plugin system is but I guess it would be powerfull enough to show a realtime preview of the filtered image.
Btw: a bit ot, but anyways intresting: http://www.slack.net/~ant/libs/ntsc.html a ntsc filter-library

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:12:14 pm
off topic? wtf are you talking about? that is amazing! thank you  :D I didnt even know the NES had a specific decoding flaw, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, I wonder if it emulates at all Shadow Mask/ Aperture Grille.....

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 10:41:16 pm
oh well while writing that it was off topic I completly forgot that this thread was originaly about snes/nes stuff. I thought you were only about crt flaws.
I don't think it simulates the mask/grille stuff, but I guess the results are simillar (http://www.io.com/~greens/ntsc-parameters/ the most visible effect in crt's is similar to the "Color Fringing")