AuthorTopic: girl in dress  (Read 20383 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: girl in dress

Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 06:45:59 am
Well, if anyone was going for a realistic portrayal of a royalty-related female (whatever rank), the stereotype pretty princess like thing wouldn't really work, as most of them were butt-ugly, fat and pale.
But seeing that this comes from some invented fantasy thing, I think it would be alright to take it with a pinch of salt.

What I would recommend is to design clothes and accesories putting priority on usability (if that makes sense) Make a reason why she is wearing something, and not just "because it looks pretty" (thing that square enix fails to understand IMO).
As for the underskirt thing right now all the attempts don't work that well, maybe you could just mask it with adding another set of folds instead.

As for the colors, I would go with something less muddy and instead make them more vivid. The sprite has already a small face/body, so a key thing would be readability, and right now it kinda fails to do so since many colors blend together.
A more interesting palette mixing tints would be neat. (Of course it would vary depending on where you are, your surroundings and light sources, but it makes it look more interesting overall, than just a ramp)

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 08:51:46 pm
Here is some kinda update.

got a bit of colour in there this time, don't think of the purple as final or anything, there will be many pallets anyway, as I've said.

I think I might want to do more with the gold trim stuff, or I might want to loose it altogether.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44:29 pm
Vast improvement. I really like the purple too, matches well with her blond hair.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 09:46:48 pm
This, this is nice. The ruffles in the front now look much better, the face is less anime-ish(thank God), and the addition of the outter folds to dress is wonderful. Maybe some old time gold designs along the outter rims of the dress would make it stand out more. Breast reduction is muchly appreciated. One think is bugging me though; for some reason, the top-most layer of the dress seems out of perspective than the mid layer. It's hard to say without actually point out what I'm talking about. Other than that this looks great!
(brownie points for using me favorite colors Purple and gold. Royal colors for the win!!)
my back hurts...

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 10:17:44 pm
Wow, that looks really great.  Love the gold trim, and I really love that underskirt.  Now that the dress isn't washed out, her skin and hair being washed out is even more obvious.  I'm pretty sure it's the bust that's out of perspective.  Her left side should be a little higher.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 12:50:28 am

The inside layer of the dress looks too straight to me, and causes all sorts of perspective issues.
Hopefully this will be helpfull:

Edit:
I should probably add that I don't think her front foot should be extended so far away from the one she's putting her weight on. It looks odd now that she's wearing a proper dress.
2nd edit:
Now I'm saying the same things as Helm. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:55:48 am by Faceless »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 12:57:36 am
With that feet positioning, looks like she's gonna fall backwards. The left foot should almost disappear behind the dress, being moved left, and the right foot should take a more central position, almost aligned with her head. Also, she has man feet :) They should be smaller methinks.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 07:29:38 pm
I still think your remapping concept is outmodded and flawed, and leads to worse art than if you remapped by hand. You right now have 24 colors, with a lot of redundants, a lot of near blacks, two near-whites, where you could have a 16 color palette, going through the whole spectrum and being pleasantly unifed instead of segmented per-item 'three colors for the bracelet, three for the tiara'.

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #48 on: April 15, 2007, 12:21:08 pm
the remapping concept without a doubt will lead to worse individual frames than using a pallet specifically designed for one colour scheme,  I've given myself different rules however, and I want to stick to them.  If I was doing a one of picture then I would definitely do it your way, but, as making game art dictates, often you have to play by more restrictive rules.

today I am moving house, to a place without the internet :\ I will be able to get online on campus only, and I will have a lot of maths to do.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:12 pm
He does have a point in that aspect. remapping is perfect for still art, or more indulgent game art. You can't,however, always sacrifice functionality for personal preference. I do like the piece, overall, and the stance is actually nice in that it offers a little more character to a piece that could have easily become bland and boring. ( i mean, how many puffy-dressed princesses are out there? At least this one's got a little bit of fire in her).
Nice start, zomb.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:06:27 pm by gliding »