AuthorTopic: Portflio formats- what's good?  (Read 2844 times)

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Portflio formats- what's good?

on: April 07, 2007, 03:50:04 am
     Ok, so I've been emailing some companies in response to job postings and they ask for examples.  Right, so the 3D companies I applied at wanted demo reels, which is a movie format displaying your work.  So, for my pixel art I did the same thing.  I added the pixel art in my demo reel, set the compression quality to 100% so the images aren't distorted and sent the company a link to that, and to my website which has a bit less of my pixel art, but there's still a decent amount there.

So, I'm wondering if this is a good way to go about showing off my pixel art work to prospective employers?  Should I zip the images up and email them instead?  I mean they asked for a web address AND my work in digital format, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is they're after.

I know my work's got to be alright.  When I went to the game developer's confrence most of the companies weren't very interested in my 3D work, but they said my pixel art was great.

Also, how long do big companies generally take to get back to you?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Portflio formats- what's good?

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:33:46 pm
As far as pixel art goes, I've never had a problem with just having a well-organized website with nicely labeled images and a simple zoom control.  If it's clean, and you show it at multiple zoom levels, I don't see that a movie would hurt anything necessarily.  Also, I've had employer contact latency periods stretch up to 6 months and beyond, but sometimes they've been as short as 10 minutes.  Sucks, huh!

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: Portflio formats- what's good?

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:33:44 pm
Animated gifs and non-animated gifs work fine for pixel art. Whatever's easy to show off. Here's how a co-worker of mine has his:

http://plebster.com/p_index_files/p_charanim_gba.htm