AuthorTopic: Mario and Luigi  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Mario and Luigi

on: April 08, 2007, 02:20:34 am

Ahoy, I haven't posted here in a while, i thought i'd ask for a bit of Crits on these two little sprites, And a little advice on animation.

I have never animated a Walk cycle in my life, and I'm curious as to how to do it and what it takes to do it. So if people could point me in the direction of tutorials or give me some advice, Anything would be appreciated.

yosh64

Re: Mario and Luigi

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:36:41 am
hey

Nice sprite, and represents mario/luigi very well :).

I made an edit on mario to try and help.

I greatly reduced the amount of colors, there were colors that were almost identical that you may not have known of, so I advise that you draw a palette to reduce human errors or whatever. I found the shading wasn't so clean, although I found reducing the colors helped with this, and so to some of your black outlines needed some cleaning. All this is very important before going onto animation.

Hmm, when it comes to animation I think you really need a firm image in your head of the character, the lighting and whatever else, so maybe it would be a good idea to try draw mario or luigi from different views/perspectives. Well I think you'd be doing this once when starting the walk cycle animation anyhows, if you want him to walk sideways that is.

Finally, I done a quick walk cycle that I thought may help... but I'm not too happy with it yet. Well I've been having trouble trying to export it from mtPaint, so when I figure this out I will upload it for you to see.

another edit
->
Well I finally got the animation exported, it's 4 frames, but only 3 are unique. Anyhows I don't think it's anything special, but hopefully you can learn something from it.

and another...
I thought I'd quickly go over how I went about this animation. Well firstly I pixeled mario in more of a side view/perspective, which I used as a base for each frame. So yea, I just modified and re-pixeled this base for each keyframe of the walk/run cycle... not much to it really :).

cyas
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:45:39 am by yosh64 »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:58:45 pm
Thanks yosh! I'll get sketching! and that animation will help me alot.

But i think i'm going to keep the shape of my mario, but your edit willl help me reduce colors.

yosh64

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:06:34 pm
hey

Ohh, incase of any confusion... by "draw" I meant pixel :). Hmm, well it'd probably be a nice idea to sketch out a walk cycle on paper for practise, even just as a stick figure.

Another thing, when I pixeled mario in more of a side view/perspective, I did use my original edit as a base, and part by part I pixeled over the top and such.

cyas
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:21:45 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:19:04 pm
hey

Ohh, incase of any confusion... by "draw" I meant pixel :). Hmm, well it'd probably be a nice idea to sketch out a walk cycle on paper for practise, even just as a stick figure.

Another thing, when I pixeled mario in more of a side view/perspective, I did use my original edit as a base, and pixeled over the top and such.

cyas

Ok, I thought you ment draw.. Oh well, it'll help to do that, and get a nice animation going with a stick figure as you said.